seventeen

Harry knew. The second he unlocked the door to Zayn's condo and found her curled up in bed with no TV or anything on, he knew.

"Want me to leave you alone?" He asked.

"No. It's okay. You look tired."

"I am. I had a long workday."

"Then come on and lie down with me. We can nap together."

He hesitated, knowing fully well how Zayn could get when that time of the month came but still sat his duffle bag down in front of the nightstand and began to take his shoes off. "Did you need anything? I remember last time you wanted hot chocolate."

"Nope. I took pain medicine earlier, so I'm okay."

"You're sure?"

"Yes. I am. Now, are you lying down or what? Because if not, I'm napping
by myself."

"Yeah, yeah, wait a sec." As he was lifting his shirt over his head, he heard the sound of metal jiggling behind him and he turned around to see Zayn's new dog coming up to him.

"And exactly where were you hiding? You're supposed to be protecting her when somebody comes in her house."

He squated down in front of him and the dog immediately ran up to him and tried to lick him.

"Whoa there, boy. I can't let you lick me all over my face before I even get to kiss my girlfriend." It still tried though, so Harry had to stand up and just bend down to pat him. "Maybe later."

After tossing his shirt off to the side, he slid under the covers with Zayn and sighed. "I sure wish that guy at the pound knew what kind of dog this was. We at least know he's mixed with German Shepherd though."

"Yeah. Me too. He's so cute."

When they'd gone to the pound over the weekend, they came across this particular dog first. From the moment Zayn laid eyes away, she wanted him. Even after they had gone to look at other dogs, she refused to be swayed from him. Harry like him too but he wished he knew what it was mixed with. When he asked the guy who worked there, he didn't even know. He just told them the dog was brought in a month ago and the person who brought it in found it walking down a narrow country road. So they just came to the conclusion that it had to be mixed with German Shepard. Well Harry did. The guy who worked there was eighteen and clueless.

"Hazza, do you mind if he gets in the bed with us?" She asked. "He could nap with us."

"Not at all. But don't I at least get a welcome kiss before you start inviting other males into your bed?"

She smiled and leaned over to him, giving him a quick kiss. "Now can he come?"

Harry raised his eyebrow.

"No, stop being dirty." She pouted and he laughed before pecking it away and turning his attention to the dog.

"Come here, boy. Wanna get in bed with us?" The dog didn't really understand what he was asking, but he saw Harry patting the bed next to him and he saw that as an invitation to jump up there with them.

"What are you naming him and when? Cause it feels awkward calling him boy."

She shrugged before reaching over and rubbing the fur on his back. "I don't know. You think of one."

"He's your dog."

"Technically, he's ours."

"No, you picked him."

"But you bought him."

"For you. Because you just really wanted him."

"Needed him."