twenty eight

Out of all the places Zayn could have chosen to celebrate her promotion, her father was shocked that she chose some regular burger joint on the other side of the city. But knowing that his daughter was very happy with her choice, he didn't complain at all. Patricia on the other hand made it be known that she'd bought a new dress just for this occasion that she wanted to wear and Zayn almost gave in for that very reason. But Harry reminded her that this was her night and that it was up to her. Thanks to him, she was able to make up her mind that she would rather see the family in jeans and a T-shirt versus formal attire any day.

"I don't remember the last time I saw your home, Harry." Yaser was saying as they were sitting at the table. "It's beautiful and neat and clean."

"Thank you very much."

"No, thank you. You didn't have to invite us to stay."

"But I wanted to. Your daughter was pretty excited about you coming to visit and I decided to pitch in. It was no big deal. She's happy. I'm happy."

"Aw." Saffa cooed. "You guys are so cute."

And Yaser had to admit to himself that even though he didn't directly say anything to Harry's response, his words did make him smile from the heart.

"Did you know their dog died?" Patricia asked her husband.

He shook his head.

"Well, he did. They were telling us that she came home a week ago and he was dead. Harry was very sweet. Came right over and burried the dog in the backyard. That's so sad though."

"I'm sorry,  sweetheart. I was looking forward to seeing him for the first time. Was he sick?"

"I don't know. There was vomit on the floor next to him, so that at least told me he threw up before he died. The weird thing is that he was completely healthy the week before. But then he suddenly started losing his appetite. I didn't realize how hard it was to lose a pet in just a couple months. Teddy was a good dog and I just don't believe he suddenly died."

Harry discreetly rubbed her leg, remembering how hysterical she was.

"So aren't you lonely without the dog being at the condo now?" Safaa asked.

"Uhmm... Not exactly." She said and she turned a little bit red in the face. "I haven't been at home since that day. I've been staying with Harry."

He almost stopped rubbing her leg when he realized what she said, but he changed his mind because this time, he was determined not to let her father scare him. But really, that was unnecessary, because her father responded right away without any pause or hesitation. "Well good. Harry has always been really good at helping you out and keeping you safe. I don't think I was ever worried about that."

Zayn put her hand over Harry's when she felt him lightly grip her leg. She felt the same way her father did. She didn't think she ever worried about Harry keeping her safe. She always felt secure with him and she knew she was safe wherever she was. As long as she was with him.

The conversation continued onward and Zayn was grateful that it was not centered around her and Harry or her life or even the promotion they actually came here to celebrate.

It was all just about the family and their past memories from when she was little. It was catching up on the times when Zayn's family all lived here in this city; when Safaa was tiny and Waliyha wasn't gone. Those were the times Zayn missed and for a change, it was nice to know she wasn't the only one in her family who felt that way.

As for Harry, after finally getting to know Yaser on a closer level, he felt like things between them when it came to he and his daughter were becoming a lot less worrysome. Sure, he knew he'd never get the thought out of the back of his mind about Yaser one day suddenly finding something about him that he did not like. But for now as far as he could see, there was nothing about him her father did not like. And the more time passed, the more he saw there was nothing to be afraid of.