six

Liam walked into Harry's office on Monday during lunchtime and stood next to the chair he sat in last time. Harry stopped eating his tuna salad and gave him a confusing look. "What are you doing here?"

"Didn't really mean to bother you during your lunch, Harry." Then he paused. "That was a lie. I did mean to bother you. That's why I'm here."

"Who let you back here?"

"Principal Wiley."

"Are you sure about that? Because she usually asks me first and she didn't do that this time."

"Okay, so I may have lied and said you were already expecting me on my lunch period."

Harry frowned. "So you lied to the principal."

"Basically." He plopped down in the chair with a sigh. "I'm bored."

"Maybe you wouldn't be if you spent your lunch in the cafeteria. The part of the school you are actually supposed to be in."

"I didn't want to be there though."

"Don't you eat?"

"Yeah, sometimes."

"Then why don't you go eat now?"

"You want me to sit in the cafeteria all alone?"

"I'm sure your friends would like to eat with you."

Liam laughed. "What friends? I don't make friends at school. That's stupid. It's not like students can't be idependent enough to depend on their own selves."

Harry frowned and put his fork down on top of his salad. He pointed to a picture frame on his desk that was halfway facing Liam as well as himself. "See this picture here?"

"Yeah, what about it?"

"This is Veronica. I met her when I was in the eleventh grade."

"And?"

"And ten years later, we are still friends. Best friends to be exact."

Liam gasped. "You've got to be kidding me... Best friends?"

"Yeah. Why?"

Liam leaned forward and spoke in a very low whisper. "Are you gay?"

Harry narrowed his eyes. "What does my sexuality have to do with anything?"

Liam raised his hands to show he didn't mean any harm. "Just a question. I thought she was your wife when I came in here Friday. She's pretty. Just seems abnormal that she's been your friend for ten years and nothing has happened. Or so you say..."

"Liam, you're missing the point." Harry replied. "What I'm trying to say is that there is nothing wrong with making friends at school. Friends can help you now and continue to help you throughout life. That's a really good thing. I know from experience because whenever I need Veronica, she's always there. You should invest in at least one school friend, Liam. One who does not get in trouble often. It may do you some good."

"I don't think so. It's not worth it. Unless I find myself somebody really smart so he or she can help me do all my work."

"Don't use people." Harry said. "Using people never gets you anywhere."

Liam groaned. "Ugh, you're so lame."

"I'm a tweenty six year old man with experience. You're an eighteen year old with hardly any. Of course I'm lame to you."

Liam licked out his tongue. "Whatever. Just explain to me everything I'm going to have to do to walk across the stage in a cap and gown this year."