Norton Campbell (Part One)

[Royal Alternate Universe]

You were born into a noble family, your father, an Earl, and your mother, a countess. You were the eldest— no, an only child. Your mother was pregnant with a baby boy when you were just two years old. She had a weak body but still had the strength to carry on with the pregnancy; however, no one had expected what would happen. Your mother had a miscarriage, resulting in her falling into a state of depression and eventually, she passed away.

Knowing that your father had lost a boy, an heir to the family line, he was upset, angry even. Although your father had hoped for a son to inherit the lands he had accumulated over the years of hard work since a woman could never inherit it, he decided to let it go and be happy. You were the only family he had left and he wanted to spend as much time with you before time runs out as he was not getting younger anymore.

One day, a ball was to be held in honor of Queen Mary, who rose to power after the death of her brother, King Jack. Your father instructed the servants to have you wear a ball gown that was beautifully tailored by Patricia, an acquaintance of your mom who also made her ball gowns when she was younger. You rejected the flashy ball gown and opted for a (Favorite Color) one. Despite it having an old look, it belonged to your mother.

Once you step out from the dressing room where your father was waiting, he almost tears up as he sees you in it. "Wow." He breathes, taking in the sight of you. "This... was the dress your mother wore when I first fell in love with her. I'm sure your mother would be very happy if she sees you in this. Who knows how many suitors you'll—"

"Dad."

"Haha, I'm just kidding. Dad's not getting younger anymore so if you can find a husband—"

"Dad."

"I'm kidding again." He takes a look once more then sighs. "Dad is happy if you're happy, okay?" He wraps his arms around you, giving you a hug. Patricia, who helped assisting you into the ball gown, clears her throat. "Time is ticking, Earl."