Luca Balsa

[Modern Alternate Universe]

A long sigh escapes from Luca's lips as he stretches his body, relieving the small ache on his back. He opens his eyes, glancing over the messy table that was occupied with a lot of papers full of words and numbers. His hand makes a way past the load of paper and picks up his cup, taking a small sip only to realize it was empty. He heaves another sigh before getting up from the chair to refill his cup. He walks towards a small hallway and passes by a series of doors until he reaches a small room, completely forgetting to fill his cup with water.

He stares at the girl in front of him, his eyes holding adoration. He puts the cup away and takes long strides towards you before turning on your switch. A series of noises bounce through the walls after another as the electricity connects all parts of your body in a short amount of time, making you come alive. Your eyes slowly flutter open, big (Eye Color) orbs staring at the brunet. "Good morning (First Name)." He greets, a smile on his face; however, you did not return the smile. "Good morning." You reply in a monotone voice.

"Come, let's go see the sunrise," Luca says, extending his hand out for you to take. "It's currently 2:43 in the morning. There is no sun." You take his hand, exiting the small area. "Ahh, I haven't noticed." Luca chuckles at his own mistake. He had been cooped up in his office for who knows how long and lost the sense of time. "You should go to sleep." You tell Luca, leading him in the direction of his room. "I'm not sleepy." He yawns a bit, covering his mouth.

"Your yawn says otherwise. Perhaps a nap?" You suggest. "I have to get back to work." He replies quickly, the very same line he would tell you whenever you would mention sleep. "Take a nap." Now it was more of a command than a suggestion. The left corner of his lips curves a little and he raises both of his hands as if he was surrendering to his enemy. "Alright, alright. I'll take a nap." He says in defeat, hands shoved in his lab pockets before walking away to his room. He was about to close the door but stops in the process, peaking out to see you still looking at him. "Good night." Luca gives you a small tired smile and closes the door. He opens the door again and says, "Don't go to the office." And disappears into his room.

After a few minutes of standing, making sure that he didn't sneak out of his room like the last time, you walk to his office. His office almost looked like a pigsty, only that it was filled with paper instead of mud. You pick up some crumpled papers from the floor before throwing them into the trash bin. As you reached his desk, you glance over the papers with curiosity, looking at his work. On top of the papers was a word written in large messy handwriting: Heart.

Luca has been working on this for thirteen years now. Although it was almost complete, he couldn't find that missing link to make the program work. Despite being the smartest scientist and help from the other scientists like Burke and his apprentice Tracy, the program still lacked a component for it to activate. With that, Luca researched and researched, and another three years passed. During those three years, Burke saw him desperately trying to find an answer, seeing him turn into some mad scientist.