Thirty-two

The sound of my alarm clocking going off is one of the most dreaded sounds

The sound of my alarm clocking going off is one of the most dreaded sounds. I've hated that beeping noise since I was a kid, yet right now, there is a beeping that is so constant, but I cannot wake up and turn it off.

My whole body felt numb, I couldn't feel my hands or feet, which caused me to panic. I guess the numbness was better than the pain I would be feeling, but I don't remember what happened. My memory is blurry, fragments of the whole memory were displaced throughout my mind.

I focused all my energy on my body, I wanted to get up. I didn't want to be weak. "Come on Lyla you can do this," I thought to myself.

And that's when I felt it, I could move my finger. Then everything hit me at once, the numbness disappeared, and I started gasping for air, I couldn't breathe. Something was blocking my airway, causing me to cough.

It felt as though my head was underwater, and I was drowning, yet I could see a bright light that shined through the darkness. Then everything was overpoweringly bright, and then I was able to breathe again.

My legs still felt numb, but I could feel my hands. I slowly let my eyes peel open, everything was blurry. I could make out a figure standing in front of me, and then my eyes began to focus. A middle-aged woman in pink scrubs was standing in front of me.

"Hi darling, welcome back," she whispered. She held a damp cloth to my head, I tried to speak but my throat felt dry, and my jaw felt stiff.

"Shh, don't try and talk right now. My name is Kerri, you're in the hospital, you're safe Lyla." She spoke softly.

I turned my head to the corner of the room, a girl was sitting in the chair sleeping. No, that wasn't just a girl, it was Megan. She looked like she was sleeping peacefully in the chair, I wondered how long she had been there, or how long I had been here.

I watched as the nurse pulled a chair up next to the bed holding my hand. It was comforting, the first human contact that was strangely kind within the past 3 weeks.

"Most patients that come out of comas, don't quite understand what's happening. And your friend has been here all day, I think it's better to let her sleep." She spoke.

I was in a coma?

"I know you might have lots of questions, and I feel as though this is bad timing. Your boyfriend had been by your side for the past week, yet your friend over there had finally convinced him to go home for a bit. And look at this, now you're awake."

My boyfriend?

"Would you like some water," she questioned.

I tried to make out the word 'yes' but it came out as a dry sound. She gave me a smile and held up a glass of water to my mouth with a straw. I took a sip of the water, it was cool on my throat, which relieved the discomfort.

She dabbed the cloth on my head once again, "you should try and get some sleep, Lyla. It will help you feel better."

I didn't know I was in need of sleep until I found myself dosing off. My body submitting to the tiredness, I let the comfort of the dark overcome me.