10. A Bottom or a Top (Sam)

I decide to use the opportunity and learn more about Alec. I am not allowed anywhere near the kitchen, but he never said I could not ask questions. I make myself comfortable on the sofa and get ready to enjoy watching his captivating movements as he dips each ravioli into the egg mixture and then into the seasoned breadcrumbs.

   "How old are you?" I casually test the waters. "You look too young to be that good at cooking."

   "I was good at cooking when I was ten." He giggles and tosses a ravioli in the air, flawlessly catching it before it plunges into the pan. "Never wanted to do anything else. I knew I would become a chef even back then. Besides, I doubt I'm younger than you! I'm twenty-five."

   "You look fifteen," I note just to tease him. "You're such a dainty little thing."

   Alec pouts and gives me a reproachful glare. "I bet you are saying this to annoy me."

   "I love teasing you," I admit. "But I also think you are really handsome, although this is not what I like the most about you."

   "Stop it," he squeaks with a face redder than a strawberry. "Do you want to have dinner or prefer to throw away another pan?"

   "Sorry," I quickly apologize. "I don't have another pan. We'll have to keep this one. I'm twenty-seven, so you're still my cute, little Peppercorn."

   The spoon slips out of his hand and loudly clanks on the floor. I cackle, earning another glare.

   "I'd rather you stayed in the other room till I'm ready," Alec mutters.

   "That is out of the question," I firmly refuse, patiently waiting for him to bend down and pick it up. He hesitates. I think he is afraid that I will ogle his butt if he does or, maybe, that his pants will rip apart. They are definitely too tight. Both options are perfectly fine with me. He finally takes another spoon from the drawer, pursing his lips in disapproval.

   "How come that you've never kissed?" I shoot. The new spoon flies to the floor, joining the other.

   "I never wanted it," he mumbles, reaching into the drawer again. "Do you find pleasure in making me uncomfortable?"

   "No!" I immediately deny. "I'm not doing it on purpose. Well, I didn't this time. You're jumpy. Why are you so nervous about everything?"

   "I wasn't before coming here yesterday." He peeks at me and rewards me with a shy smile that I surely do not deserve. "Did you mean what you said?"

   "Which one exactly?" I ask, although I know the answer.

   "That you like me," he utters, almost soundlessly.

   "Yes, I mean it. I like you a lot." I reassuringly smile at him. Alec should feel relaxed around me. I better stop teasing him so much.

   He is toying with a ravioli, obviously on the horns of a dilemma, but finally decides to speak. "Can I ask you a personal question, actually two questions? You can just tell me that it's none of my business, though."

   "Sure," I quickly nod. "It's ok to ask me anything."

   "Why are you always so hostile at work? People are afraid of you. Don't you want to socialize with your coworkers?" His expression is one of a keen interest. The attention makes me feel warm inside. I am happy he is not one of those people.

   "I didn't really know they perceived me this way." I am a bit taken aback. Afraid? Wow! I had no idea my unwillingness to communicate had made me look scary. I try to explain. "I don't like letting random acquaintances close. Many people are judgmental. I don't appreciate my sexuality or, overall, my life being questioned or labeled by others. I have a bad experience. I'm also not very good at small talk, so..."

   "Oh!" Alec nervously tucks a loose strand behind his ear. "Sorry! I didn't want to be nosy. You are very patient with your auntie, though, for someone who doesn't want to be judged."

   "Rose is an exception." I grin at the thought of their memorable encounter. "I owe her a lot. She earned the right to preach to me from time to time. What else did you want to ask?"

   "Dinner's ready," Alec announces cheerfully, ignoring the question. The shades of red on his face go to extremes. It only makes me more curious.

   I go to the kitchen island and start helping him put everything on the counter. We are doing it in silence. He is very careful not to touch my fingers while we arrange the plates. The atmosphere is getting tense. I do not like it. What can be so difficult to ask? I grab his hand and look him intently in the eye.

   "Are you a bottom or a top?" he blurts. His eyes immediately widen. He withdraws his hand and covers his mouth with it. "Oh, my God! I'm so sorry! This was absolutely stupid. I'm a total idiot. I read about it because I haven't... I mean, I didn't know how... Oh, Gosh! Would you, please, stop staring!"

   I can not stop gazing at his scarlet face for the life of me. He is so cute. Poor boy! I really don't want to laugh, but I don't think I can hold it. I cup his cheeks and press my forehead to his, trying to brace myself.

   "Was this bothering you the entire evening?"

   "It was," he gasps. "We need to clarify it. It's driving me crazy. I don't think I can... "

   "Shh," I put my finger on his lips. "We're not discussing sex right now. I'm hungry, and this dinner can't be postponed any longer. I assure you that everything will be crystal clear if we ever come to this. What do you drink with fried ravioli?"

   "White whine," Alec says, stepping closer to me. "But I thought you'll be mixing cocktails."

   "One thing does not exclude the other," I grin. "You can take this as the answer to your question as well."

   His shocked expression is the last straw. I burst into rapturous laughter.

___________________________________

Photo by bhofack2 from istockphoto.com

A/N

Hello, at the end of chapter 10!

Thank you so much for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

Well, what do you think is the answer to Alec's question? 😂

Share your thoughts, ask questions, and criticize if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote if you liked the story.

Love: Anny