14. Norma by Bellini (Sam)

"What are you doing? Why can't I look?" Alec is trying to make me spill the beans while I lead him towards my surprise. My hand is covering his eyes so that he will not be able to see it before we reach our destination. "Sam! I'm going to fall."

   "No, Peppercorn. I am not letting you fall. Don't worry, and don't try to peek between my fingers." I keep pushing him forward. My arm is firmly wrapped around his waist. It is so difficult to focus on avoiding the thick stream of people on the alley. He is too close. I can feel his muscles strain under my palm with every uncertain step he takes. What the hell is this perfume? I hope I will not be as hard as a rock before the date has even begun. My face is too close to this insanely delicious curve from his neck and his shoulder. I pray for us to be there soon because the effort to restrain myself from licking the exposed velvety skin is making me sweat buckets.

   "Sam!" Alec shrieks, tripping over some cables, stretched across the lane.

   "I've got you, babe!" I squeeze him tighter. "We're almost there."

   We leave the asphalt and step on the soft grass. The music and the chatter of the crowd fade away when we advance further in the field, leaving the busiest part of the city fair behind us. The sun is setting, but the night lights are not on yet. We dive into the cozy twilight.

   "Where are you taking me? I hope you won't turn out to be a criminal, dragging me into a deserted park area to do God knows what," he mumbles.

   "Are you afraid?" I ask through laughter. "Don't you think that I had the perfect opportunity to take advantage of you while you were sprawled unconscious on my sofa? Why would I bother to organize this whole thing?"

   "I'm not," he giggles. "You're a sweet Teddy Bear. I know it for a fact."

   "Yes, you are right. That's exactly what I am for you." I stop him. "I'm going to remove my hand now, but keep your eyes closed until I tell you to open them. Ok?"

   "Fine! I'm waiting," he agrees, impatiently tapping his foot on the ground.

   I turn him gently to where I need him and excitedly tell him, "You can look now."

   Alec's eyelids slowly raise. He blinks a few times to adjust his sight to the darkness. His mouth falls agape the moment he is able to focus on the view before him.

"Oh, my God! Don't tell me that this... Is this... Sam... Oh, my God!" He grabs the hem of my jacket. I victoriously grin. This is exactly the effect I was aiming for.

   We are standing at the foot of an enormous Ferris wheel. A red carpet leads from the end of the lawn, up several steps to the wooden platform. One of the cabins is open for us to board. It is altered to resemble a restaurant booth. A table is placed between the leather seats. It is lined with a snowy white tablecloth. There is a beautifully arranged dinner for two and a champagne cooler with two bottles in it. The crystal glasses and the luxurious dining set are shining in various colors, reflecting the string fairy lights above.

   "Give me your hand," I smile at Alec, who seems a little shocked. He only stares at me with wide eyes.

   "Sam," he finally utters. "Why are you doing all of this?"

   "Because I want you to fall for me, of course," I answer. "Do you like it?"

   "Why?" he repeats, still gazing at my hand. "We could just go to a restaurant. This is so amazing, but also too much."

   "Don't you know why, Alec?" I whisper. He only shakes his head. I need to make him understand. "Because you are special. You are the most special person I have ever met. I love the way you freak out about everything, the way you are scared to talk about sex, and even the way you almost burned my kitchen. I feel so lucky that you decided to come and make me cover part of the costs for the bar repairs. I am crazy about your lips. I want it all. I want you to be mine. Will you take my hand now?"

   Alec hesitantly intertwines his fingers with mine and mutters, "I have a confession to make."

   "What is it?" I encourage him.

   "I lied," he huffs. "I'm terribly afraid of heights. I never thought that you could come up with something like this."

   "Oh, babe, surprises never end with you," I gasp. "What are we going to do now?"

   "What's for dinner?" he asks.

   I am puzzled but, nevertheless, proudly state, "Pasta Alla Norma di Catania." I paid a fortune to deliver it from the most expensive Italian restaurant in town, and repeated the name of the dish a hundred times at least to remember it.

   "Really? This is a masterpiece, the best Sicilian pasta." His eyes are sparkling with delight. "Did you know that it is named Norma because it is so good that someone compared it to the famous opera by Bellini?"

   "Well, I didn't know that but was assured it was the best. So, what shall we do?"

   "We get on, of course!" he smiles shakily. "You'll be with me, so everything will be fine."

___________________________________

Background: photo by Lloyd Freeman from Pexels

Model: photo by Full rights with model releases from iStock

A/N

Hello, at the end of chapter 14!

Thank you so much for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

What do you think about Sam's surprise? 😉

Share your thoughts, ask questions, and criticize if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote if you liked the story.

Love: Anny