56. Peppercorn Strikes Back (Sam)

How is it possible for a trip that lasts for less than two hours to seem like an endless journey through hell?

   Victor shook off the initial shock too quickly and found the best way to annoy Alec the entire time by recounting our high school antics one after another, showing off how close we were. I tried to change the subject several times, but he always found a way to go back to our teenage capers. Good that at least Rose finally grasped the awkwardness of the situation and decided to remain silent.

   I am really pissed off. My hands are itching to shake the idiot by the lapels and ask him what game he is playing. Her presence is the only thing that saves him from my deepening bad temper. He had twenty years to make a move and did not do it. Why now? I hope he will realize soon enough that it is too late and stop picking on my boyfriend, or else I will be forced to return the favor and kick his ass all the way to Paris.

   "Do you remember that time when we stole your father's car and it ended in the middle of the river?" he goes on. "Oh my God! My ears still throb when I recall how he pulled them. We were grounded for months."

   "That's stupid," Alec snorts. "No doubt it was your idea."

   "Wow, wait a minute," Victor yells through laughter. "Don't tell me you take your beloved Sam for the salt of the earth, that brat. I didn't want to do it, but he promised to teach me how to drive."

   "Well, you obviously weren't a fast learner," Alec rolls his eyes. "It's a pity you didn't make it to the swamp for a biology lesson on the segmented, predatory worms. They would look awesome on your slick, Parisian suit."

   "That was mean," Victor bellows. "I wasn't wearing..."

   "Oh, we're here," Rose claps her hands too merrily at the sight of her house. "Time flies when it's so much fun. I am sorry, but you will have to handle the dinner without me tonight. I always feel so dizzy after car trips. That is why I prefer the train. I guess it won't be a problem, though. Alec is a chef after all, so I am not worried. Sammy, can you give me a hand with the bags, please?"

   "Of course, auntie." I open the door for her and help her out of the car. She smiles brightly to the other two and waves them goodbye. "Behave, boys. See you tomorrow at breakfast."

   "Sammy," Rose hesitates a little at the door, but finally squeezes my hand and looks me insistently in the eye. "I am aware you don't like it when I preach, but I know both you and Victor since you were babies and love you as my own children. Were you not naughty kids? Oh, my God! A real pain! Sometimes, I had to use all my strength of will not to spank you, rascals." She giggles and pats me on the back. "I have no idea what is going on, but I will tell you this, and I beg you to listen carefully. Whatever Victor is up to, it's not decent. I adore him, but he is such a devil... just like you. Alec, on the other hand, is something else. I hope you've already seen how fragile and sweet he is. You have an angel who is in love with you. Don't mess up. You will always regret it if you disappoint him. Victor is strong. He will recover quickly if he does not get what he came for."

   "You are right," I hug her tight and smile. Rose always manages to say exactly what you need to hear at the precise moment, despite her being annoying the rest of the time. "Don't worry. Alec means the world to me. We'll be fine."

   "Do not drink on an empty stomach," she can't help but blurt before disappearing inside.

   I finally pull off in front of my house with the feeling of utter relief.

   "When is your appointment?" Alec squints at Victor.

   "Oh, I have enough time for a drink," he answers, grinning widely. "We can meet downtown later and decide what to do. I heard about a super popular club. There was this cute, newlywed couple on a honeymoon. They came to my studio in Paris. One of them, I think his name was Avery, wanted a tattoo. I wrote the word 'bunny' on his shoulder, his spouse's nickname, and drew a little pink rabbit. The other boy was blushing like crazy."

   "Adorable," Alec coos while we are bringing the luggage in and settling on the sofa. "I can get a teddy bear tattoo, too."

   "On your butt?" I mumble in his ear and place a kiss on the tip of his breath.

   "Nooo," he giggles, "unless you are willing to do it yourself. I am not showing that part to anyone else."

   "Oh, please," Victor huffs. "As if I didn't guess what you were whispering. I've tattooed more asses than you've seen in porn movies."

   "I don't watch porn," Alec grumbles.

   "Well, maybe you should," Victor immediately shoots back, making him frown. "Anyway, the guys I mentioned told me about the club. It's called 'Free Zone'. The new, smashing rock band, 'Dark Sun', that everyone talks about lately, will give several performances there before the start of their world tour. It would be awesome to go, but you can enter only with a VIP pass."

   "Too bad we don't have one," I shrug my shoulders. Victor has always been eager to get close to celebrities. I don't really care. A nice pub is more than enough.

   "We actually do," Alec mutters under his breath.

   "What?" We both turn to him.

   "Umm," he starts scratching his nape, trying to hide his burning cheeks. "I have a VIP pass for the 'Free Zone'."

   "Where did you get it from?" I ask incredulously. My Peppercorn is full of surprises.

   "Sunny is my friend," he smiles nervously. "'Dark Sun's' lead singer is his boyfriend. The band is actually named after him."

   This time, Victor is speechless, staring at my blushing angel with a gaping mouth.

   "How do you know him?" I manage to utter.

   "Mmm, he likes food, you know," Alec giggles. "And I am good at cooking. I used to work at a small beach restaurant near their house some time ago. Sunny and his boyfriend came almost every day. I... ugh... know Casey, too. He's also my friend."

   "Who the hell is Casey?" I gasp.

   "The Bunny," Alec answers, flushing a brighter shade of red.

_______________________________

Photo 193368085 © Yuliasis | Dreamstime.com

A/N

Hello, at the end of chapter 56!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

You are amazing!

Victor seems determined to intimidate Alec.

Do you think our favorite Peppercorn will be able to stand his ground? 😉

Are you ready for a wild night in the 'Free Zone'? 😂

It will be a second time for some of you who read FER. I hope you like the surprise.

Share your thoughts, ask questions, and criticize if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote if you liked the story.

Love: Anny