48. A Muddy Affair (Sam)

It's getting hot. Noon is approaching. My eyes hurt from squinting at the bright sunlight. I have no sunglasses, so I just bury my face in Alec's hair and sigh deeply. 

   He is too enthusiastic about this old, pontoon boat. We went to the bridge and then back to the pier at least ten times. My whines to stop and take a swim in the river were totally ignored. I hope he gets hungry soon or at least feels the need to pee. That would hopefully put an end to his sailing career and stop the beads of sweat, trickling down my spine. 

   "Sam!" Alec shakes his shoulder to get my attention. "Are you sleeping? This is the third time I'm trying to tell you something. Why aren't you responding?"

   "Sorry, babe! My brain is melting. I think I'm also going blind," I groan. "How aren't you sweaty and tired? We've been balancing on our feet for almost an hour. I need to dive into the water, or I'll get heat stroke. Pleeeeeease!"

   "Ohhh, come on! I've been balancing, and driving, and serving you as a pillow," Alec retorts indignantly. "You've been only leaning on me and sticking your nose in my ear to distract me. Be thankful that we didn't hit the bridge. I'm not even going to mention where your hand has been the whole time."

   I reluctantly remove my hand from his butt. "I didn't notice it was there. What did you want to tell me?"

   "Yeah, right!" He giggles. "I didn't say that I mind, though."

   I immediately grip my rightful possession again and kiss his ear, "So?"

   "I've been thinking about... uhm... about something. I wonder how you decide if... umm... you prefer... because I am a little confused after last night." He starts huffing and scratching his head. "I wonder how you know... cough! cough!... if you want... a hummingbird or a snake?"

   My eyes widen. "Alec, you seem to think a lot about sex, don't you? Is this really bothering you so much?"

   "Says the man who pops cherries at breakfast," he mumbles.

   "Alright, you win this round," I chuckle. "I'll tell you everything if we stop the old trough and go swimming."

   "I don't have a swimsuit, and someone might see us," Alec protests but heads towards the pier. "I'm not going to take off my shirt as well."

   "We'll swim with the clothes on, if you want," I instantly agree.

  "No, you can take off yours ," he gives me generous permission. "One of us must be agile if something happens. I mean, I don't really know how to swim, so..."

   "I hope you don't intend to drown, Peppercorn," I snort. "The water won't reach higher than our chests. If you are dressed, then I am too."

   "Fine," he agrees with obvious reluctance, "If you insist."

   We finally get out of the boat, and I immediately plunge in the cool water. My overheated body finds heaven. Alec still hesitates. 

   "Come on, babe! Take my hand!" I pull him towards me, and his mouth lands directly on mine. 

   "It's cold," he screeches, but I kiss him and splash him with water until he bursts into laughter. "Are you going to tell me now," he pants when I give him time to take a gulp of air. 

   "I always keep my promises, babe." I smile. "It's very easy. You don't have to choose in advance,  just try both, and then you'll know."

   Alec is gazing at me with thoughtful expression. "What if I like them equally?"

   "Then you've won the lottery," I state.

   "Are you teasing me," he squeaks. "Because this is not funny. You shouldn't joke with serious issues and offer to people things that..."

   "Shut up," I pull him abruptly for another kiss. "I am not offering anything to people, silly. I am offering everything to you."

   "Oh," he gasps. "Then... then I... accept."

   "Good!" I grin. "Wanna see the water lily pond now?"

  "Yes!" Alec grabs my hand enthusiastically, much more relaxed than before, and follows me across the river. "Can we pick some? Nicol and Rose will be so happy. I have never seen real water lilies in nature. I hope there aren't too many frogs."

   "Peppercorn, this is out of question." I'm trying to cool his enthusiasm when we reach the  clearing between the high reeds. "The mud on the bottom is probably a foot deep, at least. You'll get stuck. No walking into the swamp. You'll stay here where the ground is... Alec!"

   "Ahhh, isn't this beautiful," he exclaims and heads further in the reed, not paying attention to a single word I'm saying. "It's safe, Sam. Look! The water is only up to my ankles. I can walk freely. No problems. The flowers are just a few steps away."

   "Alec, come back! Why do you never listen to me?" I shout after him. "Don't step into the..."

   Before I can finish the sentence, he screams shrilly, pointing to his feet, "Oh, my Gooood! Sam! There's something in the water. Many things! Gross! They are moving!" 

   "Run out!" I urge him. He is trying, but his feet are deep in the mud, up to the middle of the shins. 

   "Sam! I'm stuck," he yells. "I can't get out. And those things! Oh, God! They are close!"

   I sigh in resignation and kick away my shoes. My stubborn Peppercorn can say goodbye to his nice sneakers forever. "Stay calm, babe. I'm coming. Everything will be fine. Don't look at the leeches. I'll get you before they reach you. Just don't panic."

   This is going to be such a muddy affair.

___________________________________

Photo 140147297 © Artofphoto | Dreamstime.com

A/N

Hello, at the end of chapter 48!

Thank you for reading and supporting! ❤❤❤

You are amazing!

Did you expect this turn of events? 😂

Don't worry, Alec and Sam will be fine.

Also, never step into a swamp no matter how shallow it looks. 

If there are water lilies, this means that there is also deep mud. 😉

If you want to pick some, do it only from a boat.

Share your thoughts, ask questions, and criticize if you think it's necessary.

And don't forget to vote if you liked the story.

Love: Anny