Chapter 32 - "The SASS?"

We were now in the car, on our way home. Before we could leave the base, I had to sign that non-disclosure agreement, the one that Steven guy had mentioned, which meant basically that I couldn't disclose anything to anyone about the base and also about what the giant was going to tell me. If by any chance I happened to disclose any information about the base and what the giant was going to tell me, let's just say I would seize to exist. When I had read that part on the agreement, my body had ran cold. I realized right there and then that this was serious business. I had asked the giant if everything was as it is on the agreement just to check if a prank wasn't being played on me. You could never be too sure people. It felt like I was one of the actors in a movie. All of this didn't seem real but it was. I would really be killed if I broke the non-disclosure agreement. I had hesitated putting my name on the dotted line. I mean, do you guys blame me? It felt like I was selling myself out to the devil. Well, I kinda of was. When I had hesitated in signing the agreement, Steven had pointed out, not so nicely, that it was either I signed or died, to which the giant had almost strangled him to death. No lies. It hadn't been easy when his friends tried to pry his hands off Steven. After the giant had calmed down, he had told me that he couldn't tell me anything if I didn't sign the agreement. So I ended up signing the damn agreement because I wanted to know what the hell the giant was involved in and anyways, I was already in deep with this whole thing.
Me: "So tell me everything." He grunted.
Zano: "You can't wait for us to get home woman?"
Me: "Nope. You know I just signed away my life with that agreement right?" He grunted unhappily.
Zano: "They won't fucken touch you woman."
Me: "They could. So spill. I didn't sign my life away for nothing." He gave me a glare. I glared back. He shook his head sighing.
Zano: "You're getting better and better at doing that you know." Really? Hooray for me. The twin hadn't been lying after all.
Me: "So I've been told." I said proudly. He grunted... "come on, pray tell you giant." I ordered impatiently.
Zano: "I wished you didn't have to know about all of this."
Me: "There's no going back now. So start talking."
Zano: "My friends and I work for the government." He said after a while. That gave me a pause... "so we work for a division called the South African Secret Service." Oh my gosh! What?!
Me: "Like the CIA?"
Zano: "Yes." He confirmed. I don't want to lie, I was shocked. I never expected it to be this.
Me: "Wait...that shit is real?!" He snorted.
Zano: "Yes woman...well more or less. It's not like in the States but it's still as dangerous. My team and I just help the Service when they need help with certain cases that they can't handle themselves. Most of the times we're fixing up other people's messes. And those motherfuckers mess up a lot. So most of the things we do is under the raider." Oh my God!
Me: "What?" I was still shocked. He snorted.
Zano: "Woman are you listening to me or not because I won't repeat myself."
Me: "I'm listening. But this is a joke right? I mean are you telling me the agreement I just signed that stated that I would be 'removed' if I disclosed any of this, is from the government?" I asked freaked.
Zano: "Yes."
Me: "That's crazy!" I shouted... "the government is supposed to protect its' citizens, not kill them." He snorted loudly.
Zano: "Things are not always as they seem woman, especially when it comes to our government."

I couldn't believe the government would kill people. I just couldn't.
Me: "So how was Noel involved in all of this?"
Zano: "Well now Noel was a diffident story. The local police wanted to take him down together with his drug operation. He sold really lethal drugs that killed a lot of people. We were asked to go undercover and infiltrate his operation and find out his supplier." He informed me. Wow! I swallowed. This was getting more surreal.
Me: "So did you find out his supplier?" He shook his head.
Zano: "We're still investigating. Whoever it is, the man is a fucken ghost." He stated unhappily... "but we'll find him." He stated strongly.
Me: "So who were the people that wanted me dead today?"
Zano: "One thing you should know is that some of the police officers that we have in this country are a bunch of cowards and idiots." He told me... "remember those two idiots who came by the apartment months ago asking for help?" I frowned thinking.
Me: "The 2 Officers?" He grunted.
Zano: "Yeah those idiots. They really messed up. They killed one of the members of some dangerous gang and now the gang wants retribution. Instead of those idiots owning up to what they did, they implicated me and my team in the whole mess. They made it look like it was us who killed that gang member." I gasped in disbelief and horror... "yeah...fucken bastards." He said angrily... "we were in the process of trying to clear our names when those motherfuckers found you and the shootout happened."
Me: "Oh my God!" I exclaimed... "why would the police frame you?"
Zano: "I told you. Bunch of cowards and idiots. But their asses are in trouble now. I will personally see to it that they pay for what they did." He vowed deadly.
Me: "This is just too much."
Zano: "You wanted to know." I huffed.
Me: "So that base, is it the only one of the Secret Service?" He shook his head.
Zano: "Others are hidden. That one is the smallest base. There's a main one...somewhere." Mmh!
Me: "How did it come about that you work for the government? I mean, this is so dangerous Zano. Your life is in danger every day. Why this job?"
Zano: "For many reasons woman."
Me: "Tell me. I want to understand why you do this kind of work."
Zano: "Woman you know my past." Oh my gosh!
Me: "Not in detail but yes."
Zano: "My father would beat the hell out of me for every single thing I did wrong. He started that shit when I was 6. So you could imagine, I was a kid. So kids don't know better because they're kids right?" I didn't like this... "so imagine how many beatings I got a day...a month...a year." His voice was void of emotion... "he didn't just beat me, he beat my mother too." My heart squeezed in pain... "being a kid who loved his mom dearly, I tried to protect her but I couldn't. My father was obviously bigger and stronger than me. I would rather he beat me than my mother. It usually happened when she was trying to save me from him, so I tried by all means to be a good boy so that my mother wouldn't get beaten trying to defend me. But it didn't work. The beatings carried on until my mother was pregnant with...my baby sister." His voice cracked a little. Tears were rolling down my cheeks... "I was so happy that the beatings were over. The foolish boy that I was, I thought we were finally going to be a happy family. That my father would love us. So stupid of me." He chuckled... "after my baby sister was born, me and my mother were so happy...especially me. I loved her so much Busi..." So much pain from that statement. My giant people! What to do?... "I've never loved a human being the way I loved my sister." He confessed... "I tried everything in my power to protect her when I saw that my father wanted to make her a victim too. I would take the beatings meant for her on myself and it worked until...until..." He trailed off brokenly. He shook his head... "so when I was approached by the Secret Service with promises that I would get the chance to destroy everyone that was like my father, I grabbed the opportunity with both hands. So that's my why Busi." I was speechless people. What could I say to all of that? It was still hard for me to understand how a father could be so evil towards his own son and family. He had been sick. No normal human being would do such. To hear everything from the giant's mouth, the extent of what happened to him, broke my heart completely. He was 6 years people when it all started. Thinking about the 6 year old giant...so defenseless but trying by all means to protect his mother and sister. Now I understood why he would blame himself for both of their deaths. It's a pity I would never get to meet them. I would've love to.