Chapter 37 - "The Ring Made It All Better"

I was more mortified than shocked people. I mean, this was the giant. Nothing he did or said shocked me as much as it did in the past. But how could he say all that to his parents? Invite them one minute and disinvite them the next. Just because they didn't give us their blessing. Actually it was Diana who seemed to be against us getting married. Robert and Sophia seemed very happy for us so I could say we had their blessing. James could shove his blessing up his ass. I didn't care for him. Diana was so hurt about what the giant had said, it was written all over her face. It looked like she was about to cry. I felt a little sorry for her, but she knew how the giant was better than me, so she should've expected a response like this from him. Robert on the other hand looked like he was holding in laughter. I hoped for his sake that he didn't laugh out or else Diana would kill him.
Diana: "Zano, how could you say all that?" She asked shakily.
Zano: "I'm sorry if what I said hurt you mother but I meant everything I just said. I'm a grown ass man. I know all about how serious and a huge step marriage is, and how important it is to be sure that you're ready. I know all that shit. I'm not a child and I'm not stupid. I want Busi as my wife and...also...I want her to be the mother of the children we might have. Only her." He cleared his throat taking my hand in his... "don't you understand how big this all is for me?" Understanding dawned on both Robert's and Diana's faces... "you guys know more than anyone else how after everything that happened to me in the past, I never wanted to have a wife. And I sure as hell didn't want any children." Oh my gosh!... "so now, when I come to you and tell you that I'm getting married, you should know how serious and sure I am about all this shit. Because it means I had ready thought long and hard about it."
Diana: "Oh my! I've never heard you speak this long Zano." She said with tears running down her face.
Robert: "I was just about to say the same thing." The giant grunted.
Diana: "I guess we have you to thank for that Busi." So much gratitude for me was reflected on her face.
Me: "I didn't do anything really-."
Robert: "Don't disregard the visible change we see in him. We all know it's because of you. Thank you." Oh my gosh! Talk about added pressure! I really didn't see myself having that much contribution to the giant's change. I failed to convince him to go to therapy didn't I ? But I was glad that they could see the little changes in him. Slowly but surely he was going to get there. We just needed to work on his manners because he had none. It was always a struggle trying to explain to him why what he said or did was considered rude and cruel since he didn't live according to the rules of the society. What you considered as him being rude, he saw it as him being honest and blunt. Basically, he called a spade a spade. To be honest, I really loved this about him. It was refreshing. But I could agree that he could be extra sometimes.
Me: "You don't have to thank me." I finally responded a little uncomfortable.
Zano: "And don't discuss me like I'm not in the room." He growled unhappily. Robert and Diana laughed.

We didn't stay long after that. After we received their blessings, the giant announced that we were leaving. Diana had tried to insist on us staying for lunch but the giant had refused and I was glad. As much as I liked them and all, I didn't want to be in the same room as James any longer. The guy really creeped me out people. I could feel the weight of his eyes the whole time we were there. And I knew that the giant  had noticed his brother's attention on me, and that's why I think he insisted on us leaving. I applauded him in being able to control his rage because I could see that he had wanted to rip him into pieces. Diana wanted to be part and parcel in all the wedding planning and preparations. She already had a long list of people she wanted to invite. So I could see that the small and intimate ceremony I wanted to have wasn't a possibility anymore. She suggested that we meet up on Friday to start with the preparations. When she rumbled on about her ideas on venues, dresses and decor, I got a huge headache. So you could say that this was another reason why I was glad that we didn't stay for the late lunch. The woman wanted to hijack my wedding. Imagine! On our way home, we decided to pass by Pick 'n Pay to get a few things since the giant's friends emptied half of our fridge yesterday. I quickly grabbed everything I needed and paid and left. I was really dreading on going to work later on. The giant had tried to get me to stop working at the restaurant but I had stood my ground. I had to hang on the little independence I had. I didn't want to be completely depend on him. I wanted to be able to buy things for myself even if it was underwear. But working was a pain in my ass. Being a waitress was no joke especially where I worked at. It was always busy. The damn giant made a lot of money from that restaurant alone. Sometimes I forgot that he was the owner, and the times that I did remember, it made me feel a bit uneasy. His money made me uneasy, and spending it made me feel worse. I also knew that our wedding preparations expenses would be coming out of his pocket but at least it didn't bother me that much since it was also his wedding. I always felt the weight of the bank card he gave me in my wallet. I still couldn't understand why he would entrust me with his money. I had tried giving it back when I had finished decorating our apartment months ago but it had been a big mistake on my part. He went crazy people. Thing is, he had refused to take the card back so I had sneaked it in his wallet when he was in the shower. I thought the bastard wouldn't notice a thing but I had been wrong...so wrong. He told me that if I tried what I did again, I was going to regret it. I knew the bastard wasn't playing around so I took the card back. I just told myself that I wasn't going to use it but the problem was every-time we went somewhere to buy stuff, the giant would make me pay using the damn card. Sneaky and clever right? I knew that he was trying to get me used to paying with the card so that it would become second nature to me. It had been a solid plan because I was getting used to using the card to pay for everything. Damn giant!