Chapter 36 - "Give Us Your Blessing Or Else..."

I was a mess inside the elevator. My heart was broken. This wasn't the first time my mother has broken my heart so you would think I would be used to the pain but it was the opposite. I quickly wiped my tears away and gathered myself. I couldn't let the giant see me like this or else I don't know what he would do to my mother. I exited the elevator and I stood by the side and took deep breaths. When I was sure that I was fine, I left the building for the giant's car. The giant wasn't happy with me when I entered the car. He was still mad about how I dismissed him earlier. I now kind of regretted it. I should've left with him when he had said so. If I had, I wouldn't be in this state I'm in right now. I cleared my throat and wore my seatbelt.
Me: "Let's go." I said looking out the window.
Zano: "What happened?" Please please don't ask. I'm hanging by a thin thread as it is.
Me: "Nothing. She's fine."
Zano: "Did she give you what you came for?" I had even forgotten my purpose of coming to see my mother. I just shook my head.
Me: "I'll come back tomorrow." I said softly. He grunted.
Zano: "Look at me woman." I closed my eyes and fisted my hands tightly. Please... "woman." I exhaled softly and looked at him. He scanned my face with his eyes... "what did your mother say to you?"
Me: "Nothing." He frowned unhappily.
Zano: "Then why did you cry woman." I swallowed and cleared my throat. I couldn't deny that I cried but I wasn't about to tell him the reason.
Me: "I felt sad for my mother. She's all broken up about the whole Sandile thing." He kept his eyes on me. I'm sure he was looking to see if I was telling him the truth. I held on tightly. My nails pierced my palms. At least I could focus on the physical pain than the emotional one. The giant grunted and started the car and drove off when he was satisfied I hadn't been lying to him. But I knew I hadn't fooled him completely. I kept my hands tightly fisted until we got home. He parked the car... "why didn't you tell me about Sandile?" I asked before we could exit the car.
Zano: "The opportunity to tell you never came up." Oh really now? I huffed and gave him a sharp look.
Me: "I don't care. You should've told me the minute you found out about him." He grunted.
Zano: "I couldn't baby. Even though you signed the non disclosure agreement, there're still things I can't share with you. It's important for me to follow protocol or hell would break loose." He explained. I sighed.
Me: "The government has him?"
Zano: "You could say that." Again with the vagueness.
Me: "What does that mean?"
Zano: "That sick bastard raped the daughter of a very important man Busi. So...." He trailed off.
Me: "So?" He breathed.
Zano: "It's complicated woman. Just leave it at that." Argh! I knew he was going to say that.
Me: "I hate it when you hide things from me." He grunted... "I'm going to be your wife soon so all this hiding will need to stop." He pulled me to him and kissed my brow softly.
Zano: "You know I only hide things from you because I have to. I'm protecting you. I work for dangerous people so I need to tread carefully when I do things because I have you now. Before I could go over the boundaries since I knew they needed me but now they know my weakness and they could use you against me to bend me to their will." He explained. I hadn't thought if it like that. Now I understood why he was still so hush hush about what he did. I had thought signing that agreement would allow us to have full transparency in our relationship but I guess it wasn't going to be like that. He kissed my other brow. This was his way of apologizing.
Me: "Okay, I understand." He pulled me into hug.
Zano: "Thank you baby." He whispered... "now are you going to tell me what happened with your mother after I left?" See? I hadn't fooled him completely. I shook my head.
Me: "Not now. Later." I whispered. He grunted.
Zano: "Okay." He conceded even though he wasn't happy... "later." I really appreciated him giving me time to sort out my own feelings. My giant has really come so far. He was becoming more considerate.

When we got inside the apartment, we found the giant's friends eating. I had forgotten completely about them. I'm sure half our grocery was gone. This was always the case when they came over. But at least they cleaned after themselves.
X-man: "Are you ready to leave grootman?" He asked with his mouth full of food. So every word came out muffled. I liked X-man but the guy couldn't eat properly to save his own life.
Zano: "After you guys clean up we can leave." They all ate their food fast and cleaned up after that... "let's go." Everyone went alert after that. It was hilarious how they all hanged on the giant's word when it came to work... "see you baby." He whispered giving me a peck on the lips.
Me: "You didn't tell me you were going to go somewhere."
Zano: "Sorry." He gave me a peck on the lips again. I sighed a little irritated... "I'll be better I promise."
Me: "Okay." He smiled a little and he left with his friends to wherever.