Behind Your Fake Smile (Part 1)

This chapter takes place when reader-chan was in her first and second year of junior high. So this is before she met Karma and was sent to the End Class.

~To The Story~

"Eh? Is Akabane-kun sleeping again during notes?" One of the class 1-D students whispered.

"He is going to get chewed out again. Does he think this school is a joke? How come he hasn't been expelled yet?"

"It's because he has incredible grades." The first one responded in a whisper.

"What? I barely see him ever study or do the homework."

Behind the two students talking was a red hair boy who was sleeping on his desk, with his arms folded. Not giving a crap about the class nor the people around him. Karma knew he was supposed to be taking down notes like everyone else in the class, but he would rather sleep than do something so boring.

"Oi, you two, stop talking." Ono, the homeroom teacher of class 1-D scold them from the front of the class.

"S-sorry sensei." They both said in union with a frightened tone then continue to write down what's on the blackboard.

Ono was about to continue writing on the blackboard but stopped when his eyes fell on the delinquent sleeping. He frowns disapprovingly. "Akabane-kun..." He called out. Karma was still asleep. "Akabane-kun!" He was a little louder.

The noise reached Karma's ears. He stirred a bit, his red eyebrows knitted together before slightly opening his eyes. The reality was coming back to him. Karma slowly sat up and saw his teacher in the front of the classroom and some of his classmates looking at him.

"Oh... Hi, sensei." He greeted in a groggy voice with tired eyes, his arms still folded on his desk. Karma knew his teacher was mad about him sleeping in his class, but he didn't seem to care if he was gonna get lectured.

"Akabane-kun, what did I say about falling asleep in class?" He spoke firmly, the white chalk in his hand.

"That I shouldn't," Karma replied, with a boring look.

"If you remember then why are you still slacking off?"

Karma, being the smart ass mouth he is, said, "Well, sensei, you said that I shouldn't, but that doesn't mean I won't."

The teacher irked and was about to say something else but to Karma's and everyone's luck, the bell rang, signalling everyone to leave the class and head to lunch. Everyone stood up from their seats, getting their bags. Karma was the first student to leave the classroom.

Nagisa, who was in the same classroom with Karma, watched Karma leave. Unlike his classmates, Nagisa didn't find Karma annoying, he found him admirable.

When Karma left the classroom, there were already a lot of students getting out of their classrooms and walking down the hallway. The redhead just made his way down the hallway.

"Hi, (y/n)-san, your hair looks so pretty today."

It was a passing glance, but his mercury eyes saw you. You were leaning against the window of the hallway, properly wearing the school uniform and nothing was out of place.

"Oh, thanks." You smiled a little bashfully at the girl who complimented you, holding a book you were reading.

Ah yes, you're that girl his male classmates won't shut up about. He knows that you've gained some popularity from the past two months alone. He has seen you a few times around the school, sometimes catches a glimpse of you around the neighbourhood, but never bothered to say anything to you. Not even a simple greeting.