Chapter 48

Early in the morning, the heavy raindrops pitter-pattered on the tiled-rooftops as the whole town was enveloped in a thick fog.

In the conference room of the County Public Security Bureau, core members of criminal police force sat solemnly around a long black table.

Their results from the operation were satisfactory as, over the past few days, a total of about thirty suspects were captured, and more than forty victims were rescued. The only problem was that Brother Lu had eluded them like a phantom. They had absolutely no clue where she had disappeared off to.

The Public Security Department had given instructions and issued an arrest warrant throughout the province, to carry out a large-scale search to arrest her. As for the operation team led by Jungkook, their duties had temporarily come to an end. So, they were allowed to disperse and return to their own posts to await further instructions.

After Jungkook did a brief post-mortem, he invited Director Liu to say a few words.

Director Liu had always been swift and strict. It was a trait well-known by members of the Provincial Public Security Department, and this time, there was no exception.

Once she was done highlighting the achievements and values derived from the operation, she shifted to a heavier topic. "However, we cannot consider this operation to be a success because some may even say that we fell short at the last, most critical moment. Brother Lu, the kingpin wanted by the Public Security Department, actually escaped right under our noses due to a certain colleague's negligence."

The sound of the rain beating against the rooftop and windows appeared to become louder as the office became pin-drop silent.

Rosé sat up straight in her chair, her face was a mixture of red and white.

Director Liu set her eyes on her and began completely unrestrained, "Rosé, the reason we made an exception by allowing police trainees like you and Lisa to participate in this operation was in hopes that you would be able to carry out your professional roles satisfactorily. In spite of that, Brother Lu was in your car, yet you didn't notice it at all. You even let her into the toilet alone which led to her escape. I can't tolerate mistakes like this. After you return, I'll make a request to your station chief so that the person responsible for this matter is punished. I hope that you'll reflect on yourself too and improve your professionalism from now on. You must not let similar mistakes happen again."

Rosé's tears started flowing out, but she quickly tilted her face downward. "... Yes, Director Liu."

Director Liu treated matters with logic rather than emotion. So after she criticized Rosé and saw that the young lady was feeling responsible, she cooled down. Then, she said to Jungkook, "I have nothing more to add, let's disperse."

However, to everyone's surprise, Jungkook looked un at her and said in a low voice"I disagree with punishing Rosé."

Everyone else was very quiet. The only sound one could hear was that of the heavy rainfall outside.

Confused and dumbfounded, Rosé raised her head as she looked at Jungkook with teary eyes. He was seated not far away from her. Even when seated against the window with a gloomy and overcast sky outside, he still looked calm and collected.

Director Liu looked sullen but she did not reply. Jungkook continued steadily. "In this case, Rosé was careless indeed, but she's still just a police trainee, which is why she lacks practical experience. However, I still think that her performance across the entire operation was generally excellent."

The room became even more silent, as many young criminal police officers did not dare to breathe. On the other hand, the older criminal police officers maintained a straight face, well aware of the tension in the air.