Secret Pt 3

Fred's POV

Cora told me everything that night. I held her in my arms as she told me what the letter had said. She sobbed and held onto me tightly and I kissed her head multiple times, soothing her and letting her know I wasn't leaving. She finally fell asleep after a while and my mind started racing. How could Remus keep a secret like this for so long? Was he ever going to tell her? My mind couldn't comprehend and I didn't know what to do from now on. All I could do was make sure Cora got some sleep and I'd have to figure everything out in the morning.

When I woke up the next day, Cora was still asleep so I tiptoed out the room and checked on Emery who was also asleep. I made my way downstairs where I made myself and Cora a cup of tea before walking back upstairs and placing the cups on our nightstand. Cora then started shifting and she opened her eyes. I smile and sat beside he and stroked her hair.

"Morning beautiful..." I whisper.

She moves over and lays her head in my lap. I start playing with her hair.

"I don't know what to do, Fred..." she says. "How am I meant to cope?"

I looked down at her sadly.

"I don't know, darling...this is a lot to deal with."

We then hear a knock on the front door and my hand immediately stopped playing with Cora's hair as we both froze.

"Who could that be?" Cora asked.

I looked at the time.

"It's 11am...could be anyone."

Cora sat up and I got onto my feet.

"I'll go check." I said and made my way downstairs.

I looked through the peephole and saw Remus standing there. I sighed to myself and contemplated opening the door. But I knew I had to face him soon. I unlocked the door and opened it. Remus looked rough. His hair was messy, he had bags under his eyes and it look like he hadn't slept all night. He fiddles with his hands as he stutters a little.

"Fred...erm., is Cora awake?" He asked.

I leaned against the wall beside me and folded my arms.

"She is."

"C-can I speak to her?" Remus asked.

I sigh.

"I don't think that's a good idea, Remus. She's not in the right state of mine right now."

Remus nods.

"I-I just wanted to tell her that I'm sorry about last night...I-I was a fool..."

"Yes you was, Remus." I said. "A fool for not telling Cora sooner."

He shakes his head.

"I was going to tell her, Fred," he says. "I just didn't know when. It was hard on me when I found out so, I was scared how Cora would've felt if she found out."

"Well, she's taken is badly and she's still trying to get over how she's going to deal with it." I said.

"Can I please just talk to her? Just for five minutes." Remus says.

I shook my head.

"No, Remus. She needs some time alone. When she's ready, I'm sure she'll talk to you."

Remus looks down and nods.

"Alright...I-ill see you soon..."

I nod and he walks out the gate. I shut the door and ran my hand through my hair. I then hear footsteps coming down the stairs and I look up to see Cora standing there in her robe.