Johnny

Jonathan P. Walter is a man whose getting on in age, his living with several generations of family under one roof; the exact same house he had built after he had come back from the Korean war late in 1953.

Johnny looked at his eldest daughter, fifty years old; Catherine, who was sitting next to her husband fifty-five-year-old; Michael. Johnny moved his gaze away from his daughter and her husband and down to the floor where his three grandchildren sat including his unborn great grandchild.

He may not have been pleased to hear his fifteen-year-old granddaughter was pregnant, but he was excited to see his first great grandchild in several months' time.

Johnny turned his attention back to the tv screen; an advertisement for the Anzac Day appeared on the small tv screen. He had lived through so much including watching how technology had decreased in size yet increased a person's time sitting in front of it.

"Grandad" twelve-year-old; Eddy looked up at his grandad "Are we going to walk in the parade this year?"

Johnny nodded "Why wouldn't we?" He knew he was getting old in age and walking long distances wasn't the same as it used to be or maybe it was that his twelve-year-old grandson was worried, last year Johnny had ended up in hospital and had missed out on participating in the parade "We'll walk for the soldier's, mate." He smiled at his grandson.

Something had clicked in Johnny's mind as he rose from his seat "Johnathon. P. Walter reporting for duty, Sir." He lifted his right hand close to his right eyebrow with the tip of his index finger just sitting above the eyebrow and his thumb bent lightly touching the inside of his palm.

Everyone looked up at Johnny.

"Dad?" Catherine asked.

Johnny turned his attention to his daughter; he didn't recognise her as his daughter instead as his wife; Shirley before they had become husband and wife. "Shirley" He smiled "my pretty" He complimented as he lowered his hand, he softly smiled at his daughter.

"Whose Shirley?" asked David; Johnny's ten-year-old grandson.

Johnny's grandsons were too young to remember who Shirley was, she had died several months before Eddy's birth.

"Your grandmother" Michael quickly spoke.

"Shirley, When I come back" Johnny knelt down in front of Catherine before reaching to pick her hand up in his "When I come back, we'll marry."

Catherine watched how her father's facial expression changed from solider to a man who didn't want to leave his girlfriend.

"We'll have a family" Johnny kissed Catherine's hand "Shirley, Darling." He looked up at Catherine's green eyes "I will write, I will fight, and I will think of you" He leant up and kissed Catherine's cheek before leaning in close and whispering "Don't forget me. If I don't come back, please remember our time together. I will always love you."

Tears ran down Catherine's cheeks, she couldn't believe what she was hearing. She felt like she was sharing the exact heartbreak her mother had went through when Shirley and Johnny had to bid a tearful goodbye to each other.

Johnny rose to his feet before marching out of the living room and upstairs to his bedroom.