Quiet Room

Nurse What's-her-face looked at the clock on the wall, she had been a nurse long enough to know how things worked. She didn't hate her job but her enthusiasm for it had dropped as the years went on. She had been recommended to work at Saint Pinnington not long after the death of her husband, the medical board believed she could no longer cope amongst the regular patients.

Nurse what's-her-face didn't respect patients; she knew how to keep them in line.

"Right." She stood up from her seat behind the desk, she grabbed her clipboard before wondering down to the common room "Twins, Kyle, Johnny. Alice, Veronica." She read the names from her clipboard out loud "Follow me."

They all stood up from their spots around the common room and followed Nurse what's-her-face to the group therapy room.

"In." She spoke "Take a seat." She watched as the patients filed into the room.

They all took a seat at the chairs that were placed in a circle.

"Thank you, Nurse." Doctor Mathers spoke as he entered the room.

She closed the door behind Doctor Mathers before sitting in the corner of the room. He sat down on the empty chair within the circle.

"Doesn't this feel nicer and quieter." He smiled at each of the patients as he placed his notepad down on his lap and pulled his pen out of his pocket. "Let's start with introductions. I'm Doctor..."

"Zombie" Spat Alice; an elderly man who laughed crazily "Doctor Zombie." He laughed again.

"I'm Doctor Mathers"

"Doctor Zombie." Alice repeated.

"Shut up" The nurse spat from the back of the room.

"It's okay, Nurse. Alice is allowed to voice his words." Doctor Mathers spoke to Nurse What's-her-face before moving his attention to Alice "That's right, Doctor Zombie." He didn't feel disheartened at Alice's words, Alice had been in the hospital for almost forty years. Alice was the one who had encouraged the rumour about Doctor Mathers "Let's see if I can guess who you all are." He looked around at the patients "Alice." Doctor Mathers looked at Alice than turned his attention to the woman sitting next to Alice, Veronica; a mother of four who was suffering from untreated postnatal depression "Veronica." He turned his attention to Kyle "Kyle." He shifted his gaze to Billie "Billie." Than looked at Millie who was sitting next to her brother "Millie" and finally looked at the veteran "Johnny."

Johnny saluted Doctor Mathers; Doctor Mathers saluted back.

"For those who don't know, this room is where you can speak freely amongst each other. Each session we'll get to know each other better. This is your group, at least once a month we'll combine all the groups together and get you all to interact together rather than just the six of you. When it's your session, a nurse will bring you into this room and the seven of us can talk about anything that's on your mind. What's talked about in this room will stay between us." Doctor Mathers paused for a moment "Anyone would like to start?"

The room remained quiet.

"Kyle, why don't you start?" Doctor Mathers asked.

Kyle looked around at the patients than at Doctor Mathers "I'm Kyle."

"Why are you here, Kyle?" Doctor Mathers asked.

"I'm an alcoholic. The last time I had alcohol, I blacked out and woke up to Sherlock Holmes in my kitchen."

"Who?" Alice asked.

"Sherlock Holmes" Veronica stated "The British detective. Wait, isn't he fake?" She looked at Kyle.

Kyle nodded.

"So, how'd you see this Sherlock bloke?" Alice asked as Doctor Mathers wrote down notes.

"The mind is a wonderful thing, Alice. It can show us things that we don't want to see yet give us voices to things we'd never dare to say." Kyle stated, Alice seemed confused.

Doctor Mathers looked up from his notes "Johnny, would you like to go next?"

Johnny stood up from his seat "I'm Jonathan P. Walters. I'm eighteen years old and ready to serve for my country, Sir."

Alice winced in confusion "His not eighteen."

"Alice." Doctor Mathers spoke calmly.

Alice looked at Doctor Mathers, Doctor Mathers turned his attention to Johnny.

"Would you like to tell us about your service, Johnny?" Doctor Mathers asked.

Johnny looked at the patients around him, he recognised where he was "I want to go home. I don't want to be here. Where's my family? Catherine!" He tried to leave the room.

Nurse what's-her-face grabbed Johnny "Johnny, Sit."

Johnny and the nurse struggled, Doctor Mathers jumped up letting his notepad and pen fall to the floor. He rushed over to the two of them, he held Johnny in his arms.

"It'll be okay, Johnny. We can get Catherine on the phone." Doctor Mathers calmly spoke. Doctor Mathers looked at the nurse, they both shared the same thought.

"Out, now." She called out to the patients.

The patients didn't need to be told twice as they rushed out of the quiet room.

Alice watched as Doctor Mathers stayed with Johnny.

"Alice, Go. Now" Nurse what's-her-face instructed as she spotted the patient standing outside the room. She closed the door shut.

Alice followed behind Millie "I love when they bring new pretties in."

"Alice" Billie faced him.

"What are you going to do, kid?" Alice laughed "I used to be just like you. You'll end up like me if you're not careful."

Millie stayed close to her brother as she watched.

"We're nothing like you." Billie spat.

"Trust me kid, you are. I've been hiding in here for forty years, I know everything and every trick. I've been dubbed Crazy Alice because I fit the MO of the stereotypical crazy patient."

Millie looked at her brother "Billie" She gripped his hand in her's.

Alice looked at Millie "I had a wife who was just as pretty as you, I killed her."

Billie kept his stance between Millie and Alice "Lay a finger on her"

"And you'll kill me." Alice finished his sentence "Try it kid, see how far you get." Alice kept his stance.

"You three" Nurse what's-her-face interrupted.

Alice turned to face the nurse, he laughed like a mad man "Zombie." His eyes widen "Doctor Zombie roams the halls; he'll be after you next." He laughed.

"Alice time for you to go to your room for some quiet time." Nurse What's-her-face forced Alice to follow her to his room.

Billie and Millie looked at each other once Alice and the nurse were out of sight.

"Billie, we gotta be smart about this. Maybe Alice is right?"

Billie shook his head "We got caught, Mils. They know were here." Billie brought his sister's hand up to his lips and kissed the top of her hand "We'll be safe in here."

Millie found comfort in her brother's words.

The two of them walked back to the common room, taking their spots in their self-claimed spots.