Doctor Mathers

He knew the nickname that everyone gave him, it took time for Doctor Mathers to find humour in the nickname

He knew the nickname that everyone gave him, it took time for Doctor Mathers to find humour in the nickname. The scar from ear to ear had almost cost him his life during his medical years as a doctor.

When he meet new nurses, they'd try not to freak out, when he meet new patients they were usually the first ones to say something about his face.

It had taken a while for Doctor Mathers to finally work up the courage to get back to work after his accident, his facial scars had caused him to find solace in only one hospital.

Saint Pinnington, the only hospital that allowed him to continue working against their wishes.

Doctor Mathers believed if the patients could see him as human than he could work, he felt like all he knew was being a doctor. He didn't know anything else.

He wondered down the corridor of the hospital, unlike the other medical staff Doctor Mathers had his own office. He liked being the only doctor who had permanent residences at the hospital.

His blue eyes looked at the patients in the common room, he had meet almost every single one of them the ones he hadn't meet personally, he knew their backstory and could tell who was who. He looked over at the twins, he took several steps towards their table.

"Millie. Billie." Doctor Mathers stopped in front of the twins who were whispering to each other.

"Doctor Zom..thers"

"Nice save, Billie." Doctor Mathers looked at Millie.

She looked up at him.

"What can we do for you, Doc?" Billie asked as he leaned back in his chair.

Doctor Mathers looked over at Billie "They told me that the two of you were the big baddies on campus but neither of you have done anything more than just sit here. May I ask why?"

Millie and Billie both shrugged.

"It's a hospital. Sick people are here?" Billie spoke.

Doctor Mathers glanced over at Millie; he was beginning to understand that Billie was the speaker of the two of them.

"Doc, I wouldn't if I was you." Billie mentioned as he noticed how long Doctor Mathers and Millie were staring at each other.

"I wouldn't what?" Doctor Mathers pulled his attention away from Millie and onto Billie.

"She's married."

"She also had a child, I believe. Is that correct, Millie?" Doctor Mathers turned his attention back to Millie.

Millie lowered her gaze to the table.

"That's bit of a sensitive topic, Doc. Don't you have some doctoring to do?" Billie watched Doctor Mathers carefully.

"I actually came to talk to you, Billie." Doctor Mathers turned his attention to Billie.

"Come join us than, we can talk." Billie didn't look at his sister.

"You and I can talk in my office. I'd like to really get to know you, Billie. Understand who you really are." Doctor Mathers had no intention of backing down to Billie.

Billie stepped to his feet "Stay here, Mil. Doc and I are just going to talk about his day." He looked at his sister "Right, doc?" He looked at Doctor Mathers.

Millie looked up at the two males.

Doctor Mathers smiled a little stretching the scars on his jawline "If that's what you'd like to talk about Billie." He lead Billie to his office.

"This office looks bigger than my room, how about we switch doc?" Billie spoke as he stepped into the office.

Doctor Mathers closed the door before sitting at his desk "I get that request a lot. They only give the big office to the doctors. Sorry, kid."

Billie froze when he heard kid, no one had called him kid before.

"Please sit" Doctor Mathers requested as he sat behind his desk.

Billie sat down across from Doctor Mathers "What happened to your face?"

Doctor Mathers half heartedly smiled as he placed Billie's folder open on his desk "I got into a scuffle with a patient. They won"

"If it was me than I would've made sure you died. No point wasting a cut." Billie leaned comfortably back into the chair.

"Your record is quite impressive, Billie." Doctor Mathers placed his pen down on top of his notepad "Did you know no one wanted you and your sister in this hospital."

Billie nodded "We're just lucky Australia doesn't have the death penalty. Plead mentally insane and they let you relax in a hospital. So much nicer than prison."

"You've been?"

Billie nodded.

"What for?"

Billie struggled to find his words "I guess mother and father were just worried."

"You were only eight, weren't you?"

Billie nodded.

"That must have been scary for an eight-year-old"

Billie shrugged "It showed me that no one really cares when you're a child."

"Tell me about your parents."

Billie folded his arms across his chest "I see what your doing doc. Wanting me to tell you about all the rubbish my folks put me through to understand who I am. Just give me the drugs and I'll play good."

Doctor Mathers laughed a little "I've been instructed to not give you anything."

Billie's face dropped.

"You and your sister aren't allowed any medication even if you both have the sniffles and need something to make it disappear."

"They can't do that."

Doctor Mathers shrugged a little "There's a lot they can't do yet they do." He watched as Billie struggled to hold his calm "Here's the deal. You play nice with everyone in this hospital, staff and patients and I won't tell the judge that your faking it."

"you drive a hard bargain."

"Deal?"

Billie reached out his hand "Deal"

Doctor Mathers shook Billie's hand before pulling out of his grip "In the meantime I want you to talk to me and sit in with group."

Billie scrunched up his face.

"Billie, your input is valued here. What you say within these walls will remain in these walls."

"Now whose lying?" Billie watched as Doctor Mathers jotted down some notes.

"Well, I do have to report something. I'd rather report that your criminally insane and remain under my care" He looked up at Billie "Than have you sent to prison where you can't be with your sister."

"Right, Doc. Let's talk" Billie leant forward.

Doctor Mathers liked when he got his way.