In his own mind

Johnny brushed the biscuit crumbs off his shirt and pants.

"Hey, Johnny. What was it like when you were growing up?" Kyle curiously asked. He hadn't interact with Johnny by choice normally it was just during quiet room sessions.

"Eddy, my upbringing was a lot different to how you are raised." Johnny closed his eyes for a moment.

"Whose Eddy?" Kyle asked.

Johnny opened his eyes "my grandson, good kid. Wants to be just like me." He lowered his head as he felt a tinge of regret "Poor Eddy, he'll never understand what it was like. David finds my war stories dumb; he would do anything to not to hear them. Eddy, he thinks there cool."

"How old are they?"

"Eddy is twelve. David is ten. Lauren, my only granddaughter" Johnny lifted his attention to Kyle "She's only fifteen, silly girl got herself pregnant." He shook his head.

"What did Lauren's mother think?"

"Catherine and I argued over this. My daughter doesn't understand why it's wrong for a fifteen-year-old to be a mother. Lauren had her whole life ahead of her." Johnny started to feel frustration at his granddaughter.

Kyle wanted to convince Johnny that Lauren still had her life ahead of her but wasn't sure if he was prepared to deal with another argument with another patient especially since he wasn't sure how Johnny would react.

"My first great grandchild, I don't know if it's a girl or boy." Johnny sadly admitted.

Kyle felt sorry for Johnny.

"She may be young, but Catherine would make a wonderful mother."

Kyle was confused "Do you mean Lauren?"

"Who?"

"Johnny, you said Lauren is going to be a mother."

Johnny's face lit up than quickly dropped "But she's only fourteen, who touched my baby girl? Does Catherine know?" Johnny began to panic "A fourteen-year-old shouldn't be pregnant. How would she even know to..to.." Johnny struggled to find his words "no." Johnny rose to his feet "Catherine, you can't stop me from talking to Lauren." He argued with the empty space in front of him "No, she's only fourteen. How are you okay with this? Someone touched your daughter you think it's okay that she's pregnant. Catherine! I thought your mother and I raised you better than that."

Kyle watched with curiosity.

"CATHERINE!" Johnny yelled "Someone touched your child. Don't stand in front of me saying any of this rubbish."

"Kyle, what did you do?"

Kyle saw Nurse Rozetta leaning against the door with her arms folded against her chest "Nothing. I was just trying to get to know Johnny."

Nurse Rozetta watched as Johnny silently struggled with his body language "Johnny is unique, isn't he?"

"He doesn't deserve to be in here" Kyle watched Nurse Rozetta.

"His family don't have the luxury to give him proper care" Nurse Rozetta turned her head to Kyle.

"But he fought in wars, right? I thought the government gave those guys handouts."

Nurse Rozetta shook her head before walking over to Johnny "Johnny, is everything alright?"

Johnny inspected Nurse Rozetta up and down before saluting, he dropped his hand to his side "Ma'am. Your not safe out here, let me get you back inside."

Kyle watched the interaction.

Johnny reached out his hand, Nurse Rozetta placed her inside his. Johnny lead her back inside the hospital.