Alone Togethor

Billie sat down outside Millie's room, no one had filled her room yet. He leaned his head against his knees as tears ran down his cheeks.

"Are you okay, son?" Johnny asked as he noticed Billie.

"I'm not your son" Billie didn't bother looking up.

"Being away from family is never easy. This is my second tour; my wife Shirley is carrying our first child." Johnny sat down next to Billie "How old are you?"

Billie titled his head to look at Johnny "Twenty."

"Much older than I was when I signed up. I was only fifteen."

"Johnny, how do you cope knowing that your family doesn't care?" Billie wiped the tears from his face.

Johnny placed his hand on Billie's shoulder "Shirley and I got into an argument the morning I left, the words I wished I could take back. I pray to god every morning and every night, praying he passes my apologies to my wife and our unborn child. When I find moments alone I write her a letter, my letters are hidden under my pillow because I'm too afraid to send them home. I don't want Shirley to read my fears while I'm here."

"I'm the last one left." Billie absently mindly spoke.

"I'm sorry to hear, son. Death never gets easy. Your going to see plenty of it while you're here."

Billie moved his head onto Johnny's shoulder, Johnny wrapped his arm around Billie's shoulder.

Nurse Rozetta wondered down the hallway "I seen you made a friend" she stopped in front of the two males.

Johnny looked up at Nurse Rozetta "Sorry, ma'am. Man's business."

"Right, Sorry. Sir." Nurse Rozetta allowed the image of a lost Billie to sink into her mind as she continued down the hallway.