Nurse Rozetta

The patients all swooned over her, the way she walked in her sneakers. The way her hips swayed, the way her curled ponytail bounced with each step. The way her cleavage showed when she bent over there was enough to see more.

The nurses hated Nurse Rozetta; they didn't understand how a woman could be so vile with her work uniform. They knew if they had pulled the same stunt, they'd be reprimed but Rozetta wasn't. She was allowed to alter her uniform without any consequences.

The doctor's tried to keep their distance from her, only talked to her when others were around.

Nurse Rozetta knew how to stir trouble without meaning too.

She walked over to Johnny, she felt sorry for the veteran. She didn't understand how his family could be cruel and just dump him in a mental ward. Nurse Rozetta knew that if she still had living family, she'd place them in a respectable home and make sure they'd be well looked after.

"Johnny" She spoke to him as she stopped at the table he was sitting at.

Johnny kept his focus on the window, staring out to the court yard.

"Johnny, you have some visitors." Nurse Rozetta spoke again.

Johnny slowly turned his attention to her; he didn't recognise her "I don't have family."

Nurse Rozetta kept her composure as she spoke her lie "there are some old friends of yours wanting to see you."

Johnny looked back out the window "I'm the last one left." He absentmindedly hummed.

She knelt down in front of him "Johnny, there some people here who would love to see you. How about you tell them all your war stories?"

Johnny moved his gaze down to Nurse Rozetta's face, he smiled a little at the young woman.

"There will be some children there, maybe just tell them about why you signed up." She looked up at him trying to find a hint of familiarise in his eyes.

Johnny nodded a little, He and Nurse Rozetta stood to their feet. She lead him to the dining room to see his family.

Johnny rushed as quick as his body would allow when he saw Catherine, Michael and their three children. He wrapped his arms around his daughter "Catherine" He beamed.

"Dad" Catherine didn't want to let go of her father, she regretted putting him in Saint Pinnington, but she had no other choice.

Nurse Rozetta sat in the corner away from the family, she watched and listened.

Watching Lauren share the ultrasound scans with her grandad, watching as he lit up with emotions. Watching as Eddy showed Johnny a image of Eddy wearing his scouts uniform, seeing Johnny ruffle Eddy's hair. Watching as David tried to talk about trying to convince his parents to let them buy a sloth for his upcoming birthday, Johnny couldn't help himself but laugh at the child's words. Watching as Catherine and Michael tried to see how Johnny was doing.

Than it happened.

"DUCK!" Johnny yelled.

Johnny's family wasn't sure what was happening.

Johnny jumped off the chair his was sitting and lowed his body down "CO's down. Medic! We need MEDIC!" Johnny rose up, he ran towards the other end of the dining room "Sir, Sir?" He called out.

Nurse Rozetta watched; she was fascinated by Johnny. She wanted to keep him going, she hadn't noticed the family distraught by his actions.

"Nurse?" Michael called out. Michael had broken her concertation.

"Right, sorry." Nurse Rozetta stood up "I'm sorry but we'll have to cut this short. If you give me just a moment I can take him back to his room than we can talk?"

Michael nodded "Catherine, kids. Do you want to go out to the car?"

Nurse Rozetta managed to convince Johnny to follow her to his room, she helped him into bed than closed the door behind her as she walked back to the dining room. She saw Michael standing alone in the dining room.

"Johnny has his moments. In the week that his been with us, he just sits and stares out the window. There are times where he does speak, he seems to understand where he is during those times but as you just saw, he also reverts back to the war time. When he does, he acts like an eighteen-year-old. A young boy who signed up, my understanding is that his been a few battles?"

"I believe so. He always loves sharing war stories, his got a photo of him and a few of his buddies on display. Johnny's quite proud of his history" Michael sighed "Did we do the wrong thing?"

Nurse Rozetta shook her head "This happens, as people age their memory feels to alter their perception of reality." She paused for a moment "I'll get Doctor Mathers to give you a call and you can discuss Johnny in detail."

Michael nodded. He wasn't sure what else to say, he simply just walked away and back to his family waiting for him outside.

Nurse Rozetta sighed softly. She didn't think Johnny's family would come back. She turned on her heels and walked back to the nurse's station.