26 ➵ the morning after

I woke up with tear stained cheeks and my eyes were burning from all the crying. As I looked around the room I smiled a little but my smile dropped when I noticed Calum wasn't lying next to me.

As soon as everything that had happened last night hit me again, I jumped out of bed and put on my clothes as fast as I could, not wanting to waste any time. I ran outside and then noticed; I had no car.

Surely I could call a cab again but I almost had no cash in my wallet.

[to: dick]

can you pick me up at calum's as fast as you can? i need a drive to the hospital

He immediately replied with a 'k' and arrived fifteen minutes later. 

The drive was quiet, I just stared out of the window and thought about everything. Why did someone had to destroy this for us? Calum's life was finally the way he wanted it to be, we were so happy together, it was almost perfect and now this happened. 

It's almost like the universe didn't want Calum to be happy. He had to go through so much shit in his life and now that he was truly happy someone had to destroy it for him.

"Did they tell you anything after I left?" Ashton asked, eyes still glued to the road.

"Yeah, the doctor even let me see Calum for a minute," I simply replied, continuing to watch the houses and trees passing us by.

"How is he? Did they find out what happened?"

"I don't know, he looked really beaten up. He had bruises on his face and a cut on his cheek. I don't know how he feels but I can guarantee that he's absolutely not okay."

"Do you think someone jumped him?"

"No," I shook my head and bit my lip, "He was raped."

There was a silence in the car, I could see that Ashton didn't know what to say and honestly, there was nothing he could say which would make me feel better.

Soon we arrived at the hospital and I thanked him for driving me.

"If you're allowed to see Calum again, give him a big hug from me," he said with a small smile.

I nodded and closed the door of the passenger seat, walking to the hospital. I remembered where Jane's working place was and first walked there, since she could probably give me new information about Calum.

I knocked on her door and walked in, seeing that she was sitting behind the desk, typing something on her computer like she probably always did.

"Good morning, Jane," I said and gave her a small smile when she looked up.

"Morning Michael, I'm guessing you're here for Calum?" she asked and I nodded while sitting down on the chair. "Well, we have a problem."

"Is it bad?" I asked nervously and bit my lip.

"No, it's not but it complicates things for us. You know how only family members are allowed to visit him first, right? Well, since his mom is dead we thought we could call his dad. We actually found his new address and phone number," Jane explained.

"And where is the problem?"

"Well, after Calum woke up this morning we told him about it and he immediately started crying, telling us to not bring his dad here. I'm guessing they don't have a great relationship but we didn't want to ask about it since it seemed like a vulnerable topic. We asked if he had any other family members but he told us that, if there were any, he didn't want to see them."