08 ➵ one week later

"Some people are just too stupid for this planet," Amanda groaned and sat down behind the counter.

"What's wrong?"

"This dude came in and asked if we had avocados. This is a fucking game store, why would someone think that we sell avocados?"

I chuckled at how annoyed she was and went back to writing down some orders for the shop, looking up when a customer came in and smiled when Amanda was talking about her new puppy. 

"Do you think we could grab something to eat later and then have a movie night?" she asked and looked at me with her blue eyes, waiting for an answer.

We hadn't hung out in weeks and I already felt guilty about saying no.

I bit my lip and shook my head, "Sorry, I already have plans. I would cancel them but I'm kind of really excited. We can do that next weekend, okay? Don't be mad at me."

She smiled, "I could never be mad at you and it's fine. I wouldn't want you to cancel your plans for me  anyways. But, you have to tell me whom you're meeting. That you're excited for it makes me curious."

"Okay, so there's this boy I met a few weeks ago and he's really cute. I like him a lot. He's special and I'm just very happy to see him again," I explained and could feel myself blush a little.

"You're so cute when you have a crush, I've never seen you this happy before."

"I don't have a crush, Amanda. He's just a really nice person and a great friend to hang out with. If you'd meet him you'd see what I mean. Anyways, --"

"Michael?" I got cut off by a way too familiar voice and groaned in annoyance.

"Fuck off, Ashton. I don't want to see you."

I didn't even look at him, just continued to doodle random things on a piece of paper. Amanda looked at us confused and then decided to help some customers, leaving Ashton and me alone.

"Would you please listen to me? I tried to apologize to you all week but you wouldn't pick up your phone or answer my messages," he said and sighed.

"Yeah, I did that on purpose."

"Come on Michael, I'm trying to fix things between us. I'm sorry about what I've said, it was rude but you know how I am. I don't think before I talk."

"That doesn't excuse your behaviour. I don't really want to talk about Calum because I'm pretty sure he'd be not okay with other people knowing about his problems but he's a very fragile person. He takes things like that to heart, he's very insecure, Ashton. You can't walk around and call people a freak because they're different. Being different is the thing that makes them special, not freaks."

"I'm sorry."

"Oh, you don't have to apologize to me. It wasn't me who you called a freak."

"You want me to apologize to Calum?" he asked with furrowed eyebrows.

"Of course! You hurt him, Ashton. God, why are you so stupid sometimes? I really don't get it," I said annoyed and looked at him. 

Maybe I was a little harsh but he needed a reality check.

Sure, Ashton couldn't change the way he was thinking from one day to another but he really needed to learn how to act around people he didn't know because being rude just because they were strangers to him, wouldn't bring him far.

"When will you see him again? If you're okay with that then I would come with you. I just want to say sorry and then I'll leave you two alone. I just really want my best friend back," he said and I smiled a little.