27 ➵ one week later

"Can I take him home today?" I asked Jane and she smiled softly at me.

"Yes Michael, you can. Just make sure you're with him for a little while, maybe over night. Calum has been having really bad nightmares the past two days and he always wakes up crying. It's heartbreaking. Maybe if you're by his side it won't be too bad," she explained.

"Okay, yeah, I just took a week off from work to be with him. I will take care of my princess."

She smirked a little, "Your princess?"

"Oh, uh, yeah," I said while scratching my neck awkwardly, "Calum is actually a princess. Not like a real princess but he likes to wear pink and I just like to call him my princess."

"God, you two are too much," she laughed and shook her head. "You can see him now. But before you leave please tell us."

I nodded and then headed to Calum's room, seeing he was sitting in the bed and eating soup. As soon as he saw me he dropped the spoon and smiled wide. I sat down at the end of the bed after placing a small kiss to his forehead.

"How are you feeling?" I asked and put my hand on his knee.

"That's a stupid question, I feel awful. I didn't sleep tonight, I'm so tired," he answered and frowned a little, then sipped his soup from the bowl. "And I feel like throwing up."

"I'm sorry, baby. But I have great news. Jane said I could take you home today and I took a week off so I can be with you. Ashton said you could stay at home as long as you want. He told his boss you were really sick, since he wasn't sure if you wanted him to know about what happened, and he said you can stay home until you're feeling better."

"That's amazing news, If I had to stay here one more day I would go insane. It gets really boring when you're not here," Calum said and pouted but then smiled again. "Can we go now?"

I nodded and he slowly got up, body still hurting a little. 

Calum looked horrible and I wanted to slap myself for thinking this because he was the most beautiful boy I've ever laid my eyes on. But, he had bags under his eyes, his hair was a total mess and he lost some weight. It probably wasn't much but it was still bad, seeing as he already was very skinny for his age and height before all this happened.

And he looked so sad all the time, even when he was smiling.

I sighed and wrapped my arms around him from behind as he was packing his few things in a bag.

"What's wrong?" he asked and turned around in my arms.

"Nothing," I replied and pecked his lips. "Should we grab some food before we head to your place?"

"Yes because the soup was disgusting and I need real food," Calum laughed and turned around again, placing a stuffed lion I brought him the other day in the bag. "I'm done, we can go."

I grabbed his hand and we went to Jane's office, telling her we would be leaving. She wanted to Calum to sign some papers and then we left the hospital.

"Where do you want to eat?" I asked as we got into the car. 

"Subway and then I want donuts from Dunkin' Donuts. Can we get that?" he asked sweetly while tapping something on his phone and I smiled. I was glad he was eating well, so I didn't had to worry about him being too skinny. 

"Yeah, we can get anything you want."

I started the engine and first drove to Subway. We went in and ate our sandwiches there, then grabbed some donuts to go and finally got to his place.