106. Why Not?

____________________________________

.

.

.

"I am the worst mother in the whole wide world." River whispered, staring at her two little ones playing with Victor. 

"No, you are not." Jacqueline said. 

"You were shot River. You were too busy trying to keep yourself alive that you forgot about them for a moment." Alessia said. "It happens. Don't beat yourself up for it." 

River covered her face with her hands and groaned. That was no excuse. She was out of operation and conscious for two days and she still didn't remember. 

"How are they holding up?" She asked, turning to her brother and best friend. 

"All three of them are potty trained. That helps." He shrugged. 

Skye, Rubble and Chase were with Sebastian after the accident. Someone had to take care of the three darling golden retriever pups and Sebastian had volunteered. The man was one masochistic bitch - he could not look after Mia properly and then he added more work to his plate. 

It was so much like him though. Even when the twins were born, he would jump up to do the diaper changing, staying up at night, shopping and babysitting and what not though he would hate it halfway through it. But did that stop him from jumping at the next chance? That would be a big fat no. 

"I feel horrible." River pouted. "I didn't even think of them once." 

"In all fairness, so did none of us." Alessia said and then shrugged. "I mean, I haven't met them yet but..."

"Not helping." River narrowed her eyes at her who just chuckled. 

The door opened and a nurse came in, pausing at the sight of all the people in the room. "I know there is special permission, Dr. Johnson, but you know these many people are not good for you, right?" 

River rubbed the back of her neck. "I know Delilah, they are just leaving." 

She nodded. 

"I am just here to administer another dose of morphine for you." She smiled and approached her. 

About time, bitch. 

And the inner voice was back. 

River had been feeling the pain coming back to her, and she knew that it was time for her next dose of painkillers. But she thought that it took too freaking long. Maybe her metabolism was a bit faster than the others because it should not have started to ache so soon. 

"Thanks Delilah." She hummed and the nurse quickly noted down her vitals before leaving the room. 

"So they do come by." Alessia rolled her eyes. "I thought the nurses were boycotting you or something."

"Why? I am not Mark Sloan." River said and she and Jacqueline chuckled. 

"Who?" Sebastian and Alessia asked in unison, looking dumbfounded. 

"Nobody." River rolled her eyes. 

"You guys should get going." She said and then perked up her lips. "But where the hell did Adam and Mateo run off to?"

"Mommy, can we go get ice cream with Vicky?" Lucas turned around and asked. 

"Nope." She popped the P.

"Why not?" Alessia asked. "Let them."

Before River could say anything, Alessia cut her off. "Mateo is a paranoid dumbass. Don't listen to him. The hospital and surrounding areas are swarmed with security. Nothing will happen to them." 

"You sure?" River bit her lips. 

Alessia rolled her eyes. "River, do you think I will let my nephew and niece go if I wasn't sure?"

River took a moment to think and then nodded. It made sense. River was growing paranoid by the day like Mateo. It was not good. 

How the hell were they supposed to breathe if they were afraid of the smallest things that happened?

Getting shot and almost dying and making your children grow up motherless is not the smallest thing that could happen.

Well, it did not help that her bitchy inner voice came back as paranoid inner voice. 

"I will go with them too." Jacqueline said. 

River raised a brow. 

"Why?" Victor spoke up. "Because you think I can't take care of the kids?" 

"Yes." She shrugged. "Exactly." 

River smiled and shook her head. When was this ship going to sail?

.

.

.

Jacqueline gave Victor an eye as she seated Kiara onto the chair before sitting down next to her, Victor helping Lucas to his seat. 

"I can do it on my own, Vicky." Lucas said like the big boy that he was, pushing Victor away. 

Victor smiled at him. "I know, big man, but what can I say? I need to do the job that I am getting paid for." 

"Like you've been doing that..." Jacqueline coughed into her fisted hand, making the kids and Victor look over at her. Victor's hands balled up against his sides. 

This woman was forever questioning his credibility as a bodyguard.

Yes, he lost River once, and she got kidnapped. He got enough heat from Mateo at all times after that without this woman opening her mouth to bark snide remarks at him.

He wanted to say something to her, but he could not risk his job. But that did not change the fact that he thought that she was a total bitch. 

The sudden sound of explosions shook everyone. 

"Victor!" Robin, one of the newer bodyguards for the children, who was outside rushed in, pointing at something outside. 

George and Davis looked over from where they were buying the ice creams. 

Victor looked out to see that the two SUVs containing the extra securities for the children had blown up. 

"Shit!" He cursed as he jumped to his feet and pulled his gun out. 

Robin, George and Davis joined him and surrounded Jacqueline and the kids.

"Aunt Jackie, I am scared." Kiara was in Jacqueline's arms. Lucas gulped though the little boy tried to stay as calm as he could in a scary situation as this. But he was only five - it was only normal that he was shaking like a leaf.

"Everyone on the floor!" Davis yelled. He didn't know who the enemy was so his only choice was to treat every single one of them as the enemy. 

A black SUV skidded to a halt in front of the ice cream place. Steve, the other new bodyguard of the children, jumped out of it and rushed in. "Let's go!" He said. 

Robin turned and picked up Lucas, Kiara was in Jacqueline's arms and Victor guided them out of the building while Steve, George and Davis watched the other scared civilians, scanning for any suspicious faces. 

Victor got into the driver's seat while Jacqueline and Kiara was helped into the back. Robin helped Lucas in and closed the door. Victor hit the gas and rushed out of the site before anything else could happen.

.

.

.

____________________________