3

Walking through the door into her small apartment, Sasha's heart sank as she picked through her mail. Bill after bill to pay. She tossed them onto the small dining table, in no mood to deal with them. It had been a long, annoying shift at the Grill and she was just glad to be home. T.K. was at basketball practice preparing for his high school's big game, while Mia was on her way to the apartment from elementary school. Sasha made dinner and cleaned up the house to pass the time.

There was a knock on the door and two familiar voices talking and giggling outside. Once Sasha unlocked the door, her eight-year-old daughter barreled into her arms. "Hi Mama!"

"Hey baby," she cooed lovingly, picking her up and ruffling the little girl's afro. "How was school today?"

"Good." Mia grinned, holding up a hand-drawn picture in her hand. "I painted a picture of a butterfly and Miss Ferry gave me a gold star!"

"It looks amazing," Sasha praised, looking over at the toned, petite woman shrugging off her jacket. "Hey girl."

"Hey, Sash." Pamela Winters was Sasha's best friend since middle school. Pam was the Louise to Sasha's Thelma, her sister from another mother. They shared some wild times together over the years and though their lives took different paths, they still remained incredibly close. Sasha honestly didn't know where she would be today without Pam's support.

"Baby, go get cleaned up for dinner, okay?" Sasha said to Mia, watching the little girl bound off into the bedroom

"Baby, go get cleaned up for dinner, okay?" Sasha said to Mia, watching the little girl bound off into the bedroom. Pam took a seat at the small round kitchen table. "Long ass day," she grumbled.

Sasha reached into the fridge and handed Pam a bottle of water. "What happened? Did you run into another pervert gym goer?" Pam was a personal trainer and dance instructor at a local gym, and both women always had nightmare stories to share about their respective jobs at the end of every day.

"Not this time, thank God. Oh, I forgot to tell you; so I met this guy at the gym a couple of days ago. New customer, only just registered like, a week ago," said Pam. "We had a little chat and I figured he'd be perfect for-"

Sasha rolled her eyes at the mysterious tone of her friend's voice. She met a new guy every day and proceeded to date at least half of them. "Right. Let me know when y'alls wedding's taking place," she interrupted.

"I wasn't checkin' him out for me, smartass," Pam took a sip of her water. "I was checkin' him out for you."

Sasha turned to look at her. "You're kiddin' me, right?" At the look on Pam's face, she nearly choked in realization. "Pamela Winters, what have you done?" she demanded.

"Look, I don't expect you to fall instantly in love with the guy. It's just one date."

"Date? Are you serious? You set me up on a date?"

"He's a nice dude. And he ain't exactly shabby neither. His name is Elgin, he's an accountant and he's Ivy League...or so he said."

"Cancel it."