16

"Mama, come on!"

"No, Ty. You're not going."

"But mom it's the biggest party in school!" exclaimed T.K. "I have to be there. Everyone expects me to be there."

Rolling her eyes, Sasha sifted through the mail piled on the kitchen table. "I'm sure they do, Mr. Basketball Star, but my answer is still no."

"What am I going to tell Chanel? It's her party and she personally invited me."

Ah, Chanel. The pretty, popular, shallow little floozy that her son was crushing on. Sasha didn't quite know what he saw in her. She knew she was cramping her son's style but she had her reasons. "She is friends with Lamar, isn't she? I'm guessing he's going to be there too?"

"Mama, don't do that. You've already told me to stay away from him-"

"Exactly. And I'm just making sure you do."

"I ain't gonna do nothin' with him. It's just a party mom, nothing's gonna happen. I don't drink or do any of that stuff. Come on," he whined, "Joe takes you out all the time so why can't I go out?"

At the mention of his name, the tension between them mounted as Sasha glared up at the teenager. "First of all, do not bring him into this. Second, I've never had a problem with you going out. I just don't like that Lamar will be there."

What did he have to do to make her say yes? "Mama, don't you trust me?" T.K. asked.

"I never said I don't trust you. I just don't trust this crowd. Lamar and co. They're not good for you, baby."

The teen wracked his brain, desperate to get her to see things his way. He couldn't not be at the party tonight. It would totally put a dent on his reputation. "Mama...nothing's going to happen," he promised. "I won't do anything you don't want me to do. If it makes you feel any better, you can call me. I'll come home whenever you want. I promise." He gave her those puppy dog eyes again, the ones that never failed him. To his surprise however, it didn't work this time, as Sasha crossed her arms, her expression unwavering. Letting out an exasperated growl, he said, "Come on Ma, you're being unfair! I'm seventeen, why are you treating me like a kid?"

"Because you are my kid," Sasha retorted, staring him down. "And I don't give a damn if you're a hundred years old. As long as you're living under my roof, it's my rules!"

T.K. scowled at her, thoroughly pissed. His mood for the whole day had just been ruined. "Whatever. Thanks for ruinin' my day." Turning on his heel, he stormed out of the apartment to catch the bus, not bothering to kiss his mother's cheek like he always did.

"Tyson!" she called, but he'd already slammed the door shut. "Dammit." Slumping back down in her seat, she massaged her temples, feeling a headache coming. She didn't mean to snap at T.K. but she was stressed. The bills were piling up. The rent was overdue and the electricity was going to be cut off soon. She was going to have to ask Reggie for more double shifts. Right now she would give anything for a vacation, somewhere far away from all her problems. Too bad she couldn't afford to go anywhere.

The sound of her phone ringing startled her. Seeing Joe's I.D. meant his plane must have landed. "Hey," she said, wondering if she sounded as tired as she felt. "How was your flight?"

"Long," Joe grumbled. "Got home an hour ago. Haven't moved from my bed since I climbed in."

"All part of the grind, handsome," she reminded him. The two of them had been "together" for a little over six weeks now, and another fortnight had gone by without seeing the other. She knew it was the nature of the beast that was his job, but she always felt like she barely had time to enjoy him before he zoomed off again. Sadly their first time in bed had been cut short because he had to travel the next morning, and for the first time since this thing started, Sasha truly believed she would never hear from him again. After all, he'd gotten what he wanted by sleeping with her, right? But when he sent a text telling her what he was up to and that he missed her, and followed it up by sending her flowers at her work, she was floored. She was slowly running out of excuses to doubt him. They were yet to label whatever this was, but maybe they didn't need to just yet. She figured the lack of pressure was what made things this relaxed between them. "I'll let you get some rest. Maybe we could meet up tomorrow, if you want."