59

If there's a question of my heart, you've got it
It don't belong to anyone but you
If there's a question of my love, you've got it
Baby don't worry, I've got plans for you
Baby, I've been making plans, oh love
Baby, I've been making plans for you

Three months later...

This was straight-up voyeurism wasn't it, what she was doing. It didn't feel that way at all, but it had to be. Right?

Sasha had been awake for over an hour and she'd spent every second gazing at her sleeping boyfriend, resting on her side facing him. He looked so good. Even in slumber he was sexy as hell. He did need to shave though, and some hair had escaped from his loosening ponytail. She wanted to run her fingers through it, but it was highly likely that the action would awaken him. He slept like a log all night, and understandably so after a stressful week. They'd only just returned yesterday evening from Pensacola and last night was the first time he'd had any proper sleep. It was best that she let him be. She could play with him later.

Carefully, she slid out from under his arm, grabbed her robe to cover her nude body and tiptoed into the bathroom to brush her teeth. She crept back into the bedroom and saw that Joe had turned on his stomach, causing the covers to slide over his body and expose a naked butt cheek and leg. His ponytail was completely free now so his hair flowed down his broad back. Sasha bit her lip and quickly scrambled out of the room before she could change her mind and climb back into the large bed to ravage him.

Alone in the kitchen as she prepared breakfast, she ran through a mental checklist of the day ahead. T.K. was back home with his girlfriend Angelia, but they were only here for a short visit as they had to return to Chicago before the weekend was over. She'd missed him so much; he'd been gone for about three months training, and had only come home twice the entire period. He had one more month to go before his training was complete. Sasha remembered when T.K. had introduced her to Angie via FaceTime some weeks back. She recalled her skepticism at meeting the young woman, then said skepticism being wiped away the minute they first spoke to each other. The girl was quite the charmer, and she clicked well with Sasha. For the first time since her son started dating, Sasha actually liked the girl he was with. That had never happened, so she figured it was good omen.

A lot of good had been happening around her over the past couple of months, actually. Elgin was responding well to chemotherapy and showing signs of progress. Pam remained by his side and was keeping strong for him and their daughter. Imani was happy and healthy and the seven-month-old remained a constant source of joy to her parents during this tough time. Mia was about to enter fourth grade and was less than a year away from the big 1-0. In funnier news, Sasha heard through the grapevine that her ex-boyfriend Tyson was having another kid...but it wasn't Desiree's. She could only imagine how much grief his wife was giving him over that situation. Or maybe not. She really couldn't care less. Those two were no longer her problem. Reggie's Bar & Grill was expanding through Tampa, and Reggie had offered Sasha the Manager's position at the new, swankier restaurant that had opened in downtown Tampa. She would be further away from home but with T.K. never around these days she only had Mia to worry about. Plus, no more nightly shifts for her. Other people were doing that now. Now that she had her GED, she could finally back up all her work experience with credentials. So while she may not have made the cut for the photography job she'd applied to, she got an even bigger opportunity and took it gladly. Evidently every cloud had a silver lining, including the one cloud in her life that had been complicated for a long time...

Sasha was glad she didn't have to pee in a cup for this appointment. It was still one of the most uncomfortable things she had ever done. It reminded her of what she endured back in junior year of high school during another of the authorities' fruitless attempts to curb the widespread marijuana problem at school. It sucked just as much as sitting in the OB-GYN's office wearing only those thin-ass hospital gowns that covered up nothing. She looked around the room, her feet bumping the side of the table as she swung her legs fretfully.