45

Song choice for the first half of this chapter is "Love You Down" by Ready for the World.

A few weeks later...

Joe lay on the narrow bed with his tattooed arm behind his head, gazing openly at his girlfriend. He could watch her for hours. She wasn't doing anything more than cleaning up her bedroom, but it was the graceful way in which she did it that turned him on. He looked her over from head to toe and felt his lips turn up in a smirk. She walked around barefoot in the 'pajamas' she'd worn especially for him; a sexy satin camisole and matching tiny shorts that hugged her round butt perfectly. Her hair was high up on her head, and he could still see the little love bite on her neck that he'd given her the night before in this very bed, recalling how much she'd enjoyed that moment of him marking her. He couldn't believe it sometimes; that he'd finally found a woman that ticked all the right boxes. He loved how strong their relationship was despite their ups and downs; loved how in sync they were, to the point that both always knew when something was bothering the other person. Like right now. She didn't seem to be focused on what she was doing. She liked to clean and tidy up stuff like a typical mom, liked to ensure everything was neat and organized, so her sad expression seemed out of place. "What's wrong?" he asked.

Slightly startled, she looked at him, laying in her bed in all his bare-chested glory, and gave a small smile. "Hey handsome, you're awake," she greeted, placing a bunch of Mia's folded clothes in her side of the closet. "Want some breakfast?"

"Later," he said, sitting up in the bed, the covers sliding down to his hips. "Something's bothering you. It's written all over your face." He saw her face fall a little, and he patted the small space beside him on the bed. "Come here."

Sighing, she shut the closet and shuffled over, sitting next to him and allowing him to draw her close. "Talk to me, doll. What is it?" he cajoled.

Ducking her head, Sasha pushed a loose tendril of hair out of her face. "My mama died twenty-four years ago today," she whispered. "Been thinking about her."

She'd told him the heartbreaking story before. It was raining when her mother dropped her off at school on her way to work. Some guy smashed into her from the opposite side of the road, killing them both on impact. A mix of assorted narcotics had been found in the other driver's system and was the direct cause of the crash along with the pouring rain – triggering Sasha's lifelong hatred of drugs. Joe couldn't imagine losing a parent, his only parent for that matter, at such a young age and in that manner. He gave her a comforting squeeze. "I'm sorry."

"Thanks." She brushed a tear from her eye. "I miss her so much."

"Of course you do."

"I just wish I had more time with her, ya know? Wish she got to see her grandchildren."

"Maybe she didn't physically, but I'm sure she's been up there watching you ever since." He leaned in and pressed his lips to her cheek. "And I'm sure she's proud of the kids and of you."

She smiled at his comforting words and rested her head against his. She could never thank him enough for his support. "I've been thinking about going back to school, earning a diploma."

"Yeah?"

"Mm hmm," she said, running her index finger up and down his tattooed forearm. "Actually, I've thought about it for a long time but I want to wait till T.K.'s in college first."

Joe's shoulder lifted in a shrug. "If that's what you want then that's great. Maybe you and I could go to college together. I never got to finish after all," he grinned.

"And when will you have time to complete a degree while you're busy wrestling all around the world?" Sasha questioned.

"I'm sure I'll figure something out," he said. "You and I could go to the same classes, study together..."