17

The next morning was a quiet one for Sasha. T.K. and Mia were in school and Pam came over to hers. As they sat at the kitchen table drinking coffee, Pam eyed her best friend through the rim of the mug she was sipping from. "Okay, what's wrong?"

Sasha looked up from her untouched cup. "What?"

"You're not smiling today. You should be smiling all the time, honey. You finally tapped that fine Samoan ass."

Sasha actually looked worried. "Seriously. When did you become such a pervert?"

"I've always been one. You too if I remember, before you became all prim and proper. Anyway, what's the problem? He gave it to you good, right?"

"Oh yeah." There was no hesitation on that.

"So what gives?"

With a heavy sigh, Sasha told her about last night's party and what Danielle and Natalie had said about Joe, earning a frown from the petite woman. "Did you ask him about it?" Pam said.

"No. I pretty much bailed on him." Having thought back on her actions she concluded that she'd gone about the whole thing wrong. But still...

"Come on, babe. You too grown for this shit," Pam admonished Sasha, "You shoulda talked to him instead of runnin' away from those hatin' ass bitches."

"What if it's true?" Her stomach clenched at the thought.

"What if it ain't?"

Covering her face in her hands, her voice was muffled. "You don't know what it's like. He's so fuckin' gorgeous and he's famous and he gets a lot of female attention. Every time we go out there's women either throwing daggers at me with their eyes or mentally undressing him. I act like that shit don't freak me out but it does. Last night, girls I didn't know from Adam walked up to me and trashed me all because they saw me with him. And we're not even official. What's going to happen if that happens? It's gonna be worse."

"You'll cross that bridge when you get to it," said Pam. "Look, I don't know if the cheating thing is true or not. That is a big deal. But you know those heffas only told you that shit because they want what you got. You a threat now, baby. You should be flattered."

"Flattered? Right," the mother of two snorted.

"Damn right. Some of the hottest girls on TV are threatened by you. Bask in it. You got good shit with Joe and they so jealous they wanna fuck it up."

"I think I'm doing that all on my own," Sasha lamented. She'd been afraid of this. Sure, it was nice to know she could actually still have fantastic sex and her lady bits hadn't yet shriveled up from lack of use. The downside was getting worked up by the emotions that surfaced afterwards, like they always did when she became intimate with a man. No-strings-attached sex was never her forte. "I told you I didn't know what the hell I was doing with this dating shit."

"You're doing fine. Talk to Joe. Listen to his side of the story first then make whatever decision you have to."

Sasha smiled. "You always know what to tell me."

"Yeah, I do. And at this rate I'm gonna start billing you soon for my services." Pam took another sip of her coffee. "You still make the best coffee after all these years," she commented with a grin. "After my Mama of course."

"She made the best everything," said Sasha. The two women regarded each other contemplatively, silently sharing a moment. "I miss her."

Pam gave a watery smile. "I miss her too."

Sasha stood up from her seat. "I'm gonna go take a shower, I stink. Take the cup with you if you want."

"Hey," said Pam. "Before you go, thought you might need this, so I was kind enough to get some for you." She withdrew something from her handbag and held it up.