21

It was a bright, sunny Saturday morning, and T.K. was hanging out at the outdoor basketball court in the local park, perched on the hood of Lamar's white Mercedes. He eyed his friend as he counted his earnings. T.K. knew exactly where the money came from, but he didn't ask questions. He never did. It wasn't really his business what his friend did with his life. It didn't stop him however, from envying the fact that Lamar was his own man, independent with no one to answer to except the people he worked for, who seemed to treat him well.

"Yo, T.K. my man," Lamar crowed, wrapping the money with a rubber band before stuffing it into his pocket, "At this rate I'll be able to buy you some new sneakers soon."

Slightly taken aback, T.K. laughed away the discomfort he felt at the statement. The last thing he needed was his friend buying him anything. "Nah man, I told you those are my lucky shoes."

"Lucky shoes? Come on man. Those damn things are about to fall apart. I got a lot of money ridin' on you, Teek. I need you to be on your A-game."

"Oh please, he always on his A-game," Chanel retorted, her head on T.K.'s shoulder. The teenager smiled down at her, still unable to believe that the hottest girl in school was giving him the time of day. His mother would probably have a seizure if she saw the company he was currently keeping but he wasn't really doing anything wrong.

As the gang watched the impromptu basketball game happening on the concrete court, a Range Rover pulled up across the street. T.K. peered through the chain-linked fence to see the window roll down halfway, and was completely surprised to see it was Joe.

Lamar had seen him as well. "Oh look, your best friend is here," he remarked.

"We ain't best friends," T.K. denied quickly.

Steve, their other friend, said, "He's dating your mom, right?"

"No," he lied. This was one of the reasons he wished Joe hadn't come into the picture. The teen did not want anyone speculating about his mother's private life and getting in her business all of a sudden.

"That's not what I heard. But if he is single, then hook a girl up," said Chanel. She licked her lips, her gaze zoomed in on the occupant of the Range Rover, "He so fuckin' hot. I don't mind gettin' on that stallion."

"You're such a slut," Lamar sneered.

"Hey, fuck you Jones! You just jealous you ain't never had this pussy before."

"You ain't got nothin' I ain't never had before sweetheart."

"Asshole."

"Bitch."

Eager to get away from the arguing, T.K. slid off the hood of the Mercedes. "I'll be right back," he murmured, jogging across the street towards Joe's SUV. "What're you doing here, man?"

Joe peered at the teenager through his Ray-Bans. "Your mom said I'd find you here."

"Yeah? So?"

"I'm on my way to the gym. Wanted to get a little work out in for the day. Wanna come along?" Joe gauged the kid's expression, and could tell he was trying to play it cool while he decided whether to go with him or not. "You look ready to work out anyway," he goaded, pointing out his t-shirt and basketball shorts combo. "Come on. It'll be fun. The guys are dyin' to meet you."

Honestly, T.K. couldn't resist. He'd be absolutely stupid if he didn't take the offer. He knew the gym the WWE wrestlers went to and he'd always wanted to work out there. He could always hang out with his boys another time. "Give me a second." Crossing the street again, he grabbed his bag off the top of the Mercedes. "I gotta go, guys."