41

She wouldn't admit it out loud, but Sasha missed the hell out of Pensacola. Being back in the real world felt like she'd awoken from a four-day-long dream. She returned to the harsh reality of a stack of bills, the paint peeling from her leaky ceiling and a moodier than usual T.K. who was refusing to say what was bothering him this time. The joys of raising a teenager. Only a day ago she was stretching across a wicker chaise lounge like a cat, a Mojito in hand and a stunning view of the beach before her, without a care in the world. With her body still in vacation mode she did little, simply completing all the chores that needed to be done around the house. She then picked up her phone and hit the FaceTime app. She was yet to talk to her best friend since her return and wanted to check how she was doing with her pregnancy and all, perhaps go spend some time with her if she was home.

A minute later, Pam's face came up on her screen. She looked paler than usual and a little tired, but her usual gorgeous self nonetheless. "Sash my love!" she crowed. "I see you've rejoined us in the real world."

Sasha flopped down on the couch and pushed her hair out of her eyes. "That I have. You look good."

"Blech. I feel like shit. I think I've vomited all of my internal organs," Pam said dismissively, then wiggled her eyebrows. "You on the other hand look thoroughly fucked. President Panty Dropper went all Air Force One on your ass, didn't he?"

"You could say that," Sasha said coyly.

"Woo yes! Oh quit your blushin' and gimme details! Did y'all play Janet songs while you was fucking? That never fails to send the temperatures skyrocketing."

Sasha smiled slyly and proceeded to fill the other woman on her Pensacola adventure, from the places they went to the gifts he got her, with Pam threatening to come over and snag a pair of Louboutins for herself since they were the same shoe size. The fitness instructor nodded her head approvingly. "Ah, I'm so proud of Big Man. Taking good care of my girl the way she deserves."

"He has. He's been amazing," Sasha reiterated, feeling somewhat guilty that she hadn't told Pam everything. She deliberately kept Joe's words on their last night to herself. She didn't want to say anything just yet, not when she was still mulling it over herself. "So how are you feeling?" she asked, changing the subject. "How's pregnancy treating you?"

"Girl, ginger ale is my best friend now. I remembered it helped you with the nausea and it's the same with me," Pam said, pulling a bottle into the shot and sipping it through a straw. "I pee all the fuckin' time and my sense of smell is goddamn supernatural now. I think I can fuckin' smell your apartment from here. But on the bright side my titties are getting bigger already," she added, pressing her chest. "Maybe if I'm lucky they'll become as big as yours."

"Well, your vocabulary is more colorful, that's for sure," Sasha shook her head, "I don't want you corrupting my niece or nephew with your foul mouth. And what about Elgin? Have you talked to him? What did he say?"

"Well, it's not more of what he said than what he did..." Pam said, bringing her right hand to her mouth, her pupils shifting left and right.

Sasha's brows furrowed, not understanding at first. "What do you mean? Did what? What did he do?" Dread filled her stomach as she thought the worst. That motherfucker...

And then she saw it. Pam's fingers wiggling, a glint in the light that could only have come from a precious stone.

 Pam's fingers wiggling, a glint in the light that could only have come from a precious stone