27

In five days Sasha had travelled enough possibly for a lifetime. It was a non-stop cycle these wrestlers embarked on and it was on very little sleep too. Back at home she was usually up by seven a.m. at the latest following a night shift at the Grill, which gave her at least five more hours of sleep. Joe, Jon and Colby barely made it through three. Travelling was nowhere as glamorous as it was perceived to be. The likes of Cena, CM Punk and Orton had buses to ferry them around, and while the Shield were royalty on TV, behind the scenes they were treated as rookies and were relegated to fending for themselves and squeezing into tiny cars and vans. There was a lot of gym time, a lot of bland eating and protein shakes, a lot of heating pads and cold baths and bulletproof coffee, all while trying to find their way to the next city. It was an intense, tough program but they sucked it up.

Sasha did what she could to help the boys out. There were moments where she felt she was in the way and other times where she felt her help was appreciated. It was now impossible to ignore how tired Joe was becoming and how much he was hurting from the constant bumping and bruising. It wasn't a secret that he was the one being groomed to lead the company in the future, and Sasha was not sure he was coping with the pressure as well as he claimed. The painkillers were appearing more frequently. Each time she pressed the issue, he played it off. There was little she could do about his stubbornness but she played her part by getting him to rest as often as possible. Amidst the stress and the chaos – as well as Orton undressing Sasha with his eyes at every chance he got – Joe made time for his girlfriend. In Gainesville they had a nice dinner at a steak house, visited the Gulf World Marine Park in Panama City Beach and went a private boat cruise in Tallahassee, getting away, if only for a few moments, from the craziness that was the WWE.

The agitation plaguing Sasha for the past few days had given way to downright terror. The day had finally arrived. She and Joe were heading to Pensacola to see his family. She wished she didn't feel so tense but she couldn't help herself. Meeting the partner's family was always a huge step for both parties and this was no different. To keep her mind occupied she glanced through the pictures on her new iPhone. There was quite a number of pictures she'd taken, different ones with Joe, Trinity and some of the other Divas, the twins and Jon and Colby. Colby had posted a photo of him and Sasha with a tweet that brought a smile to her face:

One of the coolest ladies I've ever met. Now to get her to join social media...hmm #MissionImpossible #NewBestie #FellowRocker

As interesting as it looked she doubted it would happen. Colby and Trinity had introduced her to all the trendy social media sites but she really didn't see the point of putting herself out there like that. If Jon, as popular as he was, could successfully stay away then it would be a piece of cake for her. Putting her phone away, she smoothed down her skirt and remembered how she'd agonized over what to wear. Her hair was down in soft waves and her make-up was minimal. She settled for an outfit that looked conservative enough.The last thing she wanted was to look inappropriate in front of his parents.

The last thing she wanted was to look inappropriate in front of his parents