51

As Andrea became a distant memory, a very special week was dawning. Sasha was celebrating her birthday, and in five days, she and Joe would be completing their first year as a couple. Sasha received a lot of birthday love and gifts from friends, which was heartwarming. Last year's birthday was a quieter affair with her kids, taking them out for a nice family dinner. She was very pleased that she could afford to take them somewhere fancier this year. Joe sent a whopping thirty-six bouquets of roses, one for each year of her birth and in different colors. They covered the porch and the doorstep, a nice surprise for Sasha as she returned home with Mia after picking her up from school. Mia had a lot of fun arranging the bouquets around the big house. Sasha adored the flowers, but it only her miss her man more, as he was once again thousands of miles away at work.

Back in the quiet comfort of their bedroom as she settled in for the night, Sasha received a strange text from Joe.

1 New Message

From: G.I.

Sent: 11.35 pm

Turn on the radio.

He knew she had a radio station that she listened to religiously. Wondering what this was about, she did as he instructed. She had to wait for the male DJ to go through a number of shout-outs, and then, "...So Joey from San Antonio got in touch with us, and he wants to dedicate the next song I'm about to play to Sasha, who's in Tampa. It's 'Dreams' by Boyz II Men, and it's for Joey's special girl Sasha on her birthday. Good choice, Joey. Enjoy and happy birthday Sasha from us here in the studio!"

Here I am again, wondering if you're okay

Can't stop this troubled heart, 'cause we're apart, miles away

Phone pressed up to my ear, wish you were here holding me

A face to go with your sweet voice will bring me joy, totally

I know I can't be there, baby it's alright

I'll be waiting for you tonight

I pray that you'll be there when I close my eyes

Meet me in my dreams tonight

Sasha felt her eyes sting as the lyrics washed over her, driving all her feelings home. Joe was in San Antonio, and she was stuck here in Tampa without him. He knew this was one of her favorite songs, and to imagine him saying the words to her made her heart ache and feel lonelier than ever. She was currently wearing one of his t-shirts, and it smelled just like him. Right before the song ended, she decided to give him a call. She made sure to get rid of all traces of her tears before picking up her phone and dialing his number.

"Calling me to say thank you?" He had obviously expected her call. Sasha could almost see the smirk tugging his lips. What she wouldn't give to kiss those lips right now.

"Thought you hated the name Joey," she said.

His voice danced with amusement. "Well you took a liking to it, so I guess it ain't so bad."

Sasha smiled dreamily. "Baby, that was so sweet," she told him. "I love that song."

"I know you do. What did you get up to today?"

"Not much. Got a nice big cake from Reggie, Amber and the others at work. I saved you some. Cheryl took me shopping in the afternoon, I took the kids out to dinner and my boyfriend flower-bombed me."

"Did you like the roses?"

"I loved them, baby. But now they're literally everywhere thanks to Mia. The house smells great though," she replied, ending with a forlorn sigh. "I wish you were here, my love. When will you be home?"