56

Pressing the green phone button on the iPad screen, Joe burst out laughing at the peculiar image that greeted him

Pressing the green phone button on the iPad screen, Joe burst out laughing at the peculiar image that greeted him. "What the heck is that on your face, little lady?" he asked.

Giggling, Mia pulled down the elastic face mask that covered her mouth and nose. "Mama's got the flu. She told me to wear it so I won't catch it," she said.

"Good idea," Joe agreed. "How is she? You been a good nurse, taking care of her? Getting her to take her medicine?"

"Yeah," the eight-year-old replied, clearly relishing her new role as her mother's caretaker. It was always the other way around, so she was very happy to give back. "I gave her some chicken soup, then made sure she took her vitamins first. She's sleeping now."

"Very good little lady. I'm really glad you're there with her," he said, noticing the background moving behind her and figured she was walking around.

Mia nodded, then her smile slowly faded. "I watched Raw yesterday. Is Colby really not friends with you anymore?" she asked, tugging the ends of her afro nervously.

After nearly two years together, the Shield had split at the close of Monday Night Raw in very unfriendly circumstances. To say it was a shocker was an understatement and fans were still in an uproar twenty-four hours later. 'Seth Rollins' was currently trending worldwide after he used a chair to bash Roman and Dean's brains in and joined the Authority. Joe was still feeling the effects of the chair shots on his back, but he would live. He was just glad to be part of another unforgettable segment on WWE TV. "No sweetheart. It was all just for television," he assured Mia. "Colby and I are still buddies. But Seth and Roman aren't. Do you get that?" He made sure he explained the difference as he knew for a fact that Mia was very fond of Colby, and would no doubt be heartbroken if she couldn't interact with him anymore because of their 'beef'.

"I get it," Mia said, looking relieved. "You guys did real good though. Does your back hurt bad?"

"It does, but I'm fine. Don't worry about me. Concentrate on taking care of your mom."

"Okay." A huge grin spread across her face as she seemed to remember something. "Guess who's gonna be at the VMAs this summer," she said, her big eyes sparkling happily.

It took a couple of seconds for her words to register, then his jaw dropped. "What? Holy sh-" He quickly caught himself before he could cuss in front of the little girl, and stared at her with wide eyes. "You got the Britney gig?"

Mia nodded enthusiastically. "Uh huh. Mama got the call yesterday. Me and Regina are dancing for Britney Spears at the VMAs!"

"Wow, little lady! Wow! Congratulations! Are you excited?"

"Very. I can't wait. It's gonna be so much fun!"

"Mia Sasha Morgan, keep your voice down!"

Joe smiled warmly as he heard his girlfriend's muffled, grumpy voice in the background. Mia looked over her shoulder, her voice dropping to a whisper when she said, "Sorry, Mama." She returned her gaze to the iPad screen, looking guilty for disturbing her mother. "She's awake."