Chapter 12

"Remind me to never listen to your stupid ideas ever again,"Jian said sighing and dusting the flour of her hands on the cooking apron she was wearing.

"Come on, it's gonna work, don't give up so quickly. We got this," Baekhyun said, staring intensely at the cake baking video on Jian's phone and trying to figure out where they went wrong.

"Give up easily? Baekhyun, we've been trying this for a whole damn hour,"Jian said,"It ain't gonna work. It would be so much easier if your stubborn ass just admitted that we both are shit at baking and had gotten a real, edible cake from a bakery."

"Listen, we are not shit at this. If others can do it, we can too," Baekhyun said still staring at the video of the cake they were trying to bake, for grandma's birthday which is today. Baekhyun had this amazing plan to bake a cake for grandma and surprise her in the morning as he thought a handbaked cake would hold more emotional value than a store bought one. Jian doesn't know how he convinced her to be a part of this atrocity when both of them didn't have a single idea about baking and according to Taehyung Baekhyun had sat their kitchen on fire once. But here they are now, baking a cake at 2 in the morning, trying to make the minimum amount of sounds to not disturb grandma's sleep and ruin the surprise.

Today when Jian was in school, Baekhyun had gone to get the necessary ingredients for the cake, thinking the two of them could pull it off. The video makes it look so easy but they are on their third attempt of making the cake batter, Baekhyun knows that it's far from easy.

Even though he has looked at the video so many times, he really doesn't understand where they went wrong, why does their batter look so so so not like the video. Are they messing up the measurements or something?

Jian sighed again loudly and sat up on the kitchen counter, not caring about how the flour was everywhere on the counter, her clothes were covered in flour anyway. So was Baekhyun's clothes, face and even the whole kitchen floor.

"Cleaning this is going to be a nightmare,"Jian said looking at the kitchen floor. Then she looked at Baekhyun, who seemed to not take the fact that he can be bad at something.

"Can't we just give up and get a cake in the morning?"

Baekhyun shook his head,"Giving up is not in my dictionary, Jung Jian. Shouldn't be in yours too. I'm teaching you a life lesson here."

Jian shook her head,"That wasting your time and energy on stupid crap is okay?"

Baekhyun glared at her and turned back to the screen. He looked so engrossed in the video which was a little bit endearing. He looked like a stubborn child, unable to accept defeat.

Jian's lip curved up in a small smile even though she was really annoyed about this whole ordeal.

"There's definitely some problem with this recipe. It's definitely a clickbait,"Baekhyun finally said while handing her phone back to her.

"Yes! Finally. So now can we clean this shit up and go back to slee.."

"It's time to consult an expert!"Baekhyun said not letting her finish.

Jian sighed, she should've known he isn't going to give up until he's made a cake. He's not letting her go to sleep either. Jian cursed herself in her mind so much for getting herself involved in this mess. Her bed and video games her calling her. After a long day of school, this is unacceptable. It's like she's getting punished again after her suspension.

Baekhyun got his phone out from his back pocket and was calling God knows whom. After a few rings the person finally picked up, Baekhyun's face lit up.

"Kyungsoo-ah? It's been long.."

Jian couldn't hear what the person on the other side was saying, but seemed like curses for waking them up in the middle of the night.