Chapter 44

Nienna sat at the window, staring into the clear, night sky. Silvia was helping Bard clean up from dinner and Runa was laying on her bed and staring at the ceiling dejectedly. Legolas had disappeared earlier.

“So…” began Runa hopefully. “When am I allowed to be moving about again?”

Silvia glanced at her dryly. This question had been on hourly repeat for the past few days as the inactivity had begun to wear on both Runa and Nienna.

Silvia felt a bit guilty for feeling so content whilst these two paced (or sprawled in Runa’s case) like some caged animal. Their friends were somewhere out there, beyond the foggy lake…

Durin’s Day had come and gone and the tension, though having eased slightly, had been stifling both girls.

“When I say you’re healed,” Silvia replied calmly, accepting another washed plate from Bard to dry and put away.

“How long will that take?” Runa asked bitterly.

“Depends. Let’s check your wound now,” Silvia offered. Runa sat up, momentarily forgetting to use her arms rather than her abs to push herself into a sitting position. Her gut throbbed for moment with the effort.

Bard tactfully exited, nodding at the three girls as he did so.

Pulling her shirt up to expose her bandages, Runa watched Silvia carefully as the elleth undid the binding to take a look at the wound. As the cloth fell away, both girls suppressed a wince.

The gash, though healing without infection, was purple and the skin was ridged like a mountain range trying to pull itself together. All of Runa’s other injuries were mostly healed.

“Yeah, I know,” sighed Runa as she rewrapped her bandages without looking Silvia in the eye. “Not anytime soon.”

Silvia looked at the girl sadly for a moment, before carefully hiding the unwanted pity. But it was too late, Runa had seen the look in Silvia’s compassionate eyes.

“I’m not a child,” Runa said firmly, eyes hardening.

“I know.” Silvia stood and moved away to mix a sleeping draught for Runa. She was suddenly struck by curiosity and turned to the halfling curiously.

“How old are you?” Runa grinned at the question.

“You wouldn’t believe me if I told you?”

“Try me…”

“Alright. I’m 4,967. Or thereabouts… you lose track after a while.”

Silvia’s jaw dropped.

“You’re almost five thousand years old!” she exclaimed.

“Yup!” Runa nodded happily, basking in the attention.

“I thought I was old…” muttered Silvia.

“You wouldn’t guess her age by her behavior,” commented Nienna, abruptly joining the conversation. Runa turned to her friend, all mock offense.

“My behavior? Like you can talk!”

“I’m only five hundred years old, I can be as immature as I like,” said Nienna smugly. Runa snorted as Nienna went back to her stargazing.

Suddenly, Nienna froze.

“Hey…” the warning that laced her voice caused Silvia and Runa’s attention and eyes to snap to her.

“What’s wrong?” asked Silvia as she moved to the elleth.

“Tell me I’m hallucinating,” Nienna whispered, pointing out into the night sky.