Chapter 58

Silvia was standing alone at the edge of the group of tents, unaware that Bard was watching her, trying to work up the courage to approach.

Finally he did, announcing his approach with a question.

"Where will you go?"

Silvia glanced at him before turning back to gaze at the horizon.

"I don't know," she finally said. "I have no where to go now."

"Thranduil won't allow you to return home?"

Silvia shrugged, "Don't know. But I wouldn't even if he did give me permission. I broke my bonds there when I left." She turned to give him a sad smile. "Time to find a new home."

"Oohoodawayfay," Bard muttered. Silvia frowned at him in confusion.

"Sorry, what was that?"

Bard cleared his throat, refusing to meet her eyes before trying again. "You could always stay. Here I mean. Well not here here, but with me. In Lake Town. Well we have to rebuild it, but--"

"I'd love to," Silvia interrupted. Bard's eyes shot to her face in surprise, taking in the grin that was blooming across her face.

"Really?"

"Really."

* * *

Bilbo exited the mountain as the sun's first rays began to show. Strex hadn't even awoken yet to cause a ruckus and wake everyone up.

It was time to go home.

A part of him cringed and urged him to turn around, to wait for the others to get up, to say his goodbyes.

But he quickly squashed the feeling. He didn't like goodbyes. They were too final. And he didn't want a fuss made over his leaving or he'd be tempted to stay. Steeling himself, he adjusted his grip on his walking stick and took a step forward.

"Bilbo Baggins you had better not be attempting to leave without saying goodbye."

Bilbo spun to see Aelith leaning against a boulder, her casual posture completely belying the intent look in her eyes. A rush of guilt caught Bilbo off guard and he mentally cursed himself.

Aelith slowly righted herself and walked forward until she was directly in front of Bilbo. A wry grin twisted her face as she looked at the hobbit.

"I didn't want anyone to make a fuss--" he began but faltered under Aelith's eyes. With a sigh, he started again.

"I didn't want to say goodbye."

"I figured as much," Aelith said, turning her gaze to the road stretching out before them.

"You-- you did?" Bilbo stuttered.

Aelith nodded. "Why do you think I was up this early? I noticed you were all packed up last night and figured you would pull a stunt like this."

"Oh..."

A comfortable silence fell over the two of them, one that had developed as they had grown accustomed to each other over the journey they'd partaken in.

"I'm glad we met Bilbo Baggins," Aelith said abruptly. Bilbo blinked, then smiled.

"I am too... I'm going to miss you," he added.

Aelith shot Bilbo a crooked grin, but before either of them could say anything a voice from behind them called out.

"Oh just kiss her already would you?!"

The two spun to see the entire company standing there and grinning in amusement.

"What--"

"Why--"

The two immediately stepped apart, both turning scarlet at the very thought and spluttering incoherently.

"Ah come on," groaned Runa, hitting Avice in the arm. "You totally killed the moment."

"It was taking too long," grumbled Avice as Aelith and Bilbo walked over.

"So you're off," said Balin kindly. Bilbo nodded.

"Yes. It's time to go home."

He surveyed the group in front of him, noting the gaps with a pang...

"Goodbye Bilbo Baggins."

Goodbye. What an awful word. Goodbye meant endings and leaving and forgetting. Goodbye was moving on. Bilbo didn't want to move on or forget. He had changed because of this adventure. And he intended to remember every detail, no matter how painful.

Yet, though he hated to admit it. It was an ending. The Misty Mountain wasn't exactly down the road from the Shire and Bilbo doubted visits would be frequent if existent at all.

Steeling himself, he straightened his shoulders and looked each member of the company in the eye.

"Goodbye everyone. And if you're ever in the Shire again..." His gaze came to rest on Aelith. "My door is always open. Tea is at three and don't bother knocking."

She smiled at him and nodded and this time when he turned and walked away, he felt happy. That smile had been a promise that it wasn't over. That even if it wasn't right away, she would come.