Chapter 30

[A/N: I added a prologue for dramatic flair at the beginning if you would like to rewind and take a look]

Nienna sat down, this time angled away from Legolas and not looking at him. Inwardly, she could not believe she had just called him a Prince of Fools, but she was still irritated. Really, really irritated.

Despite her clear body signals that this conversation was over, Legolas didn’t leave. In fact, he had the gall to speak to her.

“Right,” he conceded doubtfully. “Anyway… where are you from?” Clearly he was trying to steer the conversation back onto safer topics, but Nienna wasn’t having any of it.

“Somewhere.”

“But where?” he persisted.

“Not here.”

Legolas rolled his eyes.

“I know that. What elven town where you born in?”

Nienna was silent, unwilling to lie and unable to tell the truth.

“Okay… why did you start traveling with your… group?”

Here, a new voice interrupted their conversation, filled with glee.

“She was being forced into an arranged marriage!” Nora shouted from the cell over, forestalling the excuse that was teetering on Nienna’s lips. Legolas seemed surprised,

“Really? With who?”

“An ogre!” exclaimed Nora and Nienna silently prayed that the cell floor would open up and swallow her. Legolas’s eyes got wide at that.

“An ogre?”

“Figuratively speaking,” muttered Nienna. Unfortunately he overheard her.

“Was he that awful?” Legolas inquired more sympathetically.

“She wouldn’t know,” said Nora. “She never met the guy.”

“Really? That’s hardly fair is it?” Legolas said to Nienna who was starting to feel the tips of her pointed ears go a bit pink.

“I mean,” he went on, “I’m engaged to someone I’ve never met, but I’ve decided to at least meet her before I do anything drastic.”

Nienna wanted to die. Unfortunately, no hole swallowed her up, nor did Sarabelle’s chicken decide to burn down the palace. It seemed none of her prayers would be answered today.

“Is this why you’re here?” asked Nienna, shifting so her hair covered her traitorously red ears as she attempted to change the topic.

“Avoiding the topic is she?” called out Nora from the cell over. “She’s probably embarrassed. Are her ears red yet? Bet she’s covering them with her hair so you don’t see.”

Nienna couldn’t help but wonder if friends weren’t a bit overrated.

Fortunately, it seemed that fate was finally taking pity on her. Before anyone could say anything more (and it looked frightfully like Legolas was about to), a guard ran into the dungeons.

“Prince Legolas?!” he called out breathlessly. The young elven prince leapt up, moving the cell’s door.

“What is it?” he asked in concern as he took in the guard’s disheveled appearance.

“There’s been… a development.”

“A development?” asked Nora excitedly. “Is cake involved?”

The guard turned to look at Nora in utter confusion as Fili and Kili howled with laughter as his face.

“What is it?” pressed Legolas. The guard, refocusing, explained,