Chapter 16

The sun had barely risen when Aelith got up to relieve Runa of her watch. For a moment, both girls simply sat, watching the other side of the chasm, searching for any movements.

“Anything?” asked Aelith finally.

“No,” responded Runa tiredly, “I checked in with the others who were on watch. No activity all night long.”

“Strange…” murmured Aelith and Runa nodded in silent agreement. After a moment more, Runa stood, brushing off her pants.

“Well, I’m going to go bathe in that stream I found before the others wake up,” said Runa.

“Alright, but be careful,” said Aelith as Runa moved to the treeline.

“I will,” Runa replied, slipping a one of many hidden daggers out of her boot and grabbing her cloak and a bucket before she slipped into the woods. “I’ll bring back water as well.”

Aelith sat and watched for several more moments before standing and running through some simple stretches and sword exercises, sense always alert for any suspicious movements. As she finished, several others began to stir sleepily.

Biblo sat up, stretched and looked around. Seeing Aelith was the only other one awake yet, he stood and moved to her, shaking the sleep from his muscles off as he did so.

“Anyone gone to fetch water or firewood?” he asked.

“Runa’s bathing and should be back with water any minute, but no one else is up,” she replied, gesturing to the sleeping piles that circle the ashy remain of last night’s fire.

“Right then,” he said, rolling up his sleeves. “I’ll make breakfast this morning.” He walked off purposefully, a man on a mission, and began hunting around the edge of the forest for kindling.

By the time Bilbo returned, the rest of the company had arisen (more or less) and Runa had dropped off the bucket, filled with water. He quickly set about feeding the grumpy dwarves, sending Nori and Oin to get some supplies from the pack ponies.

Breakfast was quickly passed around as it was cooked, a delicious apple oatmeal concoction that was devoured and seconds were sought. Just as the meal was winding down, Aelith suddenly choked slightly on her food and looked around worriedly.

Next to her, Bilbo looked at her in concern, asking,

“What’s wrong?”

“Afraid so,” nodded Aelith. “Do you see Runa?” Bilbo looked around.

“No,” he said in surprise after a minute. “Where is she?” Aelith paused in her search to grace Bilbo with a highly sarcastic expression.

“Why would I ask if I knew?”

“Right,” Bilbo laughed lightly, taking Aelith’s attitude in stride.

“Oi!” yelled Aelith abruptly, capturing the entire company’s attention. “Does anyone know where Runa is?” Everyone looked around, muttering amongst themselves, but eventually shaking their heads.

“Great,” grumbled Aelith abandoning her breakfast to stand and brush off her pants. “Avice!” she called and her friend picked her way over, dodging the dwarves and their food.

“Aelith?” asked Avice as she finally reached where the ranger was standing.

“Come on, we need to find Runa…” Avice sighed, but followed her friend into the forest as Bilbo began directing the others in cleaning up after breakfast.

Just as the last pots where ties back onto the pack ponies, Bilbo studiously supervising the dwarves activities, Aelith burst back into the clearing, followed by Avice and Runa.