Chapter 52

Gandalf watched from the top of a tower as Thorin led Dwalin, Kili, Fili, Avice and Aelith up toward the cliffs. A heavy sigh shook the wizened frame for a brief moment before he turned away.

Without warning, Nora tumbled out of the sky and onto the tower next to the grey wizard. Gandalf almost started in surprise -- almost -- before calmly querying, "And what are you up to young one?"

Nora grinned, "Looking for you of course!"

Gandalf shook his head.

"Well you have found me," he said. "How may I assist you?"

Nora shrugged, "Not sure... but there was so much going, I didn't know what to do with myself. So... here I am!"

Gandalf chuckled, "Hobbits."

"What about hobbits?" Nora asked, eyes narrowing.

"Nothing my dear. Now, back to the matter at hand?"

"Right. Yes. What should I do?" Nora's expression turned doubtful again as she turned to survey the chaos that reigned all around them.

Gandalf fell silent, turning back to the misty cliffs, a pensive gaze overcoming the usual twinkle in his eyes. After a moment, he turned back to Nora.

"I think that your powers may be needed very soon."

"By whom?"

"Thorin."

* * *

Thranduil rode through the battle with a ferocity that tore through the ranks of orcs straight to the town's entrance. He paused, looking about the town that was overrun with orcs and human battling.

Suddenly, his sharp gaze picked a figure who was moving with far too much grace to be human. He recognized her immediately.

Silvia.

He rode over to her, both he and his soldiers quickly decapitating all the orcs in the area for the moment. As the last one fell, he dismounted and approached the elleth with a dark look on his face.

She bowed her head respectfully. Bard hesitated behind her, confused and unsure what was going on and what to do.

"Silvia," Thranduil greeted coldly. Silvia flinched almost imperceptibly at the greeting she had braced herself for.

"Your Majesty."

"What, pray, are you doing here?"

"Fighting," she responded weakly and Thranduil's eyes narrowed.

"You know what I mean."

"Doing what I feel is right."

"And how," Thranduil demanded, his voice cutting, "is betraying your king and people, helping prisoners escape, and then fleeing with them right?"

"Well that was a big misunderstanding-"

"How about you clear it up then," Thranduil cut her off. She glanced up at him, her spine suddenly straightening and a glint of steel entering her eyes.

"Yes I did help them escape, but that was because you had no real reason to keep them prisoner."

"They were thieving dwarves--"

To everyone's shock (and Bard's delight) Silvia interrupted the elven king.

"First of all, not all of them were dwarves. And secondly, did any of them actually steal anything from you?"

Thranduil stared at her, at a momentary loss for a comeback.

"Exactly," said Silvia. "Now if you don't mind, there's a battle to fight."

"But not, I think, our battle," said King Thranduil, with a look Silvia knew all too well.

"Surely you wouldn't leave us all."

"I will not sacrifice elven soldiers for the sake of dwarves."

Before any of them could retort, hoofbeats rang out and a new voice interrupted the conversation.

"But you would sacrifice them for a few jewels."

They all whirled to see not one, but two familiar faces dismount and approached. The one who'd spoken greeted the elven king indifferently.

"Father."