Chapter 10

Runa’s arm was sore.

It was really sore actually.

They’d been chucking pinecones at the goblins and wargs for the past ten minutes and though they’d caused quite a bit of damage, it hadn’t been enough to actually chase the enemies off.

“How much longer do I have to function as a human catapult?” she whined and Aelith stopped throwing long enough to throw her usual glare at Runa.

“Something better to be doing?” she asked sarcastically and Runa grinned slightly.

“Not really, but my arms are kind of sore,” she admitted unabashedly. Avice rolled her eyes,

“Quit whining you hairless hobbit.” To everyone’s utter shock Thorin snorted… in amusement!

Runa, Avice, Aelith and Balin all froze, slowly turning to stare at the young king. Seeing the sudden attention, Thorin flushed slightly and growled,

“What?” The other four all exchanged looks before turning back to the task at hand.

“Seriously though, could we work out some sort of rotation or something?” Runa went on. Avice turned to glare, but her sharp retort was stopped as Balin said,

“That might actually be a good idea… dawn is many hours away and I see no respite in sight…” Runa snickered,

“You rhymed…”

Aelith, however looked thoughtful.

“Very well,” she said. “We will have three throwing at all times and rotate one out at a time every… half hour.”

“DIBS ON RESTING FIRST!!!” Runa collapsed against the trunk, massaging her arm. Aelith rolled her eyes, then gazed at the others.

“Balin,” she said kindly, “perhaps you’d like to accompany our whiny friend on the first rotation of rest?” The old dwarf looked at her thankfully,

“My lady, I would not be averse to the notion…” Aelith laughed slightly,

“Then Thorin, Avice and I will continue for now.” With that, she turned and continued to throw pinecones.

***

“This is going nowhere!” Exclaimed Avice angrily, chucking her pinecone down harder to emphasize her frustration.

“Agreed,” said Thorin gruffly. “But dawn is on the way, we must endure!” The others nodded, exchanging deeply meaningful and bonding looks… all except Runa who was anxiously peering down at the goblins.

“Um… guys?” They turned to her and she gave them a sheepish smile. “We maaaaay have a wee problem…”

The others all rushed to look down and what they saw filled them with dread. One of the goblins had been fiddling with his crude bow and arrow and managed to light the arrow tip on fire.

Cackling maniacally, it began waving it about in jubilation and soon, the other goblins were trying to set their weapons on fire too.

“Well poop,” muttered Aelith. The pyromaniac goblin had finally thought to use the arrow and it was currently aiming at them.

“Everyone back!!” yelled Thorin and Avice at the same time.

The others quickly flattened against the trunk of the tree and moments later the fiery arrow swooshed past to bury itself in the trunk at the top of the tree.

“You missed!!!” shouted Runa delightedly.

“Uh… Runa?” said Avice, eyebrow raised.

“Take that you mewling quim!!!”

“Hey Runa…”

“You’ll never get me out of this tree!!! NEVER!!!”

“Runa!” Runa finally turned to see Avice pointing up. She followed the direction she was pointing.

“Oh.” The tree had caught fire. Runa immediately moved to leap forward, “EVACUATE!!!”

“Runa!” exclaimed Aelith, grabbing her wayward friend. Runa turned back, “What was that about, you’ll never getting me out of this tree?

"Besides, you can’t just jump down. If the fall doesn’t kill you, the goblins will.”

Runa came back and sat on a branch, eyeing the flame that Thorin and Balin were desperately trying to put out.

Unfortunately, both being rather heavy set dwarves, they were struggling to balance on the thin branches.

With a sigh, Runa nimbly climbed up next to them.

“I’ll do it,” she said, waving them away and the two dwarves gratefully retreated to the thicker limbs.

Runa quickly climbed high and after a moments hesitation, threw off her cloak and use it to smother the flames. That done, she eyed the charred material sadly and left it hanging on the branch.

Aelith and Avice watched the goblins from between the branches warily, calling out whenever there looked to be danger of more fire arrows. With a rain of bark, Runa jumped down to join them, landing easily on her feet in a crouch.

Aelith and Avice continued to keep watch, but Thorin and Balin’s jaws dropped at the sight of Runa uncloaked.

“What?” she queried, noting their stares. Thorin said nothing, but Balin managed,

“Your hair!” Red gold ringlets had fallen down without a hood to contain them and fell about her face. She tugged one of her curls down into her face, going cross eyed as she tried to look at it.

“What about it?”

“It’s… it’s red!” Runa looked at the two dwarves searchingly.

“And?”

Before either could reply, there was a thunderclap and a bolt of lightning shot down straight into the center of the clearing. The goblins cried out and ran away. Avice and Aelith shoved the others out of the way as the lightning hit the ground.

When the smoke and noise stopped, they hesitantly creeped forward, peering down, into the clearing.

There, where the lightning had touched down, stood a grey cloaked, white bearded man with a pointy hat.

***

[A/N: So I was going to drop this story- I was running out of inspiration- but then I came on and I had votes and readers... that was a shock, but it made me feel guilty so I updated. You're welcome.]