Chapter 12

[A/N: OVER 100 READS! I'MSOHAPPYICOULDCRY! ... but I won't... Yes I know 100 isn't a LOT, persay, but since I'm celebrating by updating, you, my readers, have no right to judge me.

Also, thanks to the few people who've voted for this story. If there's anything I can do to make this story better, feel free to tell me.

So read on and enjoy!]

******

The eagles had landed a while ago, but Nora was still loudly and bitterly complaining about having to be carried instead of riding majestically. Nienna and Runa were her main audience (as everyone else had taken to ignoring her) and were doing their best not to snicker.

Unfortunately, their best wasn't good enough in this case and their mirth only made Nora angrier. She began all over again, this time including the vices of their unworthy companions among her complaints.

Gandalf, Thorin, Balin, Aelith and Avice were having a far more calm and serious discussion, though Thorin was throwing sulky glares at Avice, who was biting back a satisfied smirk.

"We must stay on the move," insisted Gandalf firmly.

"But surely we have time to rest," said Aelith in irritation. "Everyone is exhausted. How much longer can we keep this up."

"As long as need be," interjected Thorin stoutly. "My men will do what needs be done." His haughty air did nothing to impress Aelith, who continued to press her argument,

"I'm sure they can and me and the girls can as well, but is it really necessary? I mean, should we encounter more troubles, we'll have no energy to fight or flee at this rate!"

Gandalf considered her words for a moment.

"She speaks the truth," he finally conceded, much to Thorin's outrage.

"My men are strong-"

"Yes, yes," Avice cut him off, "we got that the first time. But they aren't invincible."

Balin was looking thoughtful and Thorin rounded on him.

"Surely you don't agree?" Balin looked slightly uncomfortable by his erstwhile king's rage, but didn't waver in his advice.

"I'm afraid I do agree. Could we continue? Yes. But I would rather arrive at our lost home with the energy to fight a dragon. For that is what we must do."

Thorin relapsed, unhappy, but finally seeing the wisdom of the idea. Gandalf had been pondering the problem of where to rest, and here he seemed to hit on just the thing, his eyes lighting up.

"I think I have just the place..." he said.

"Where?" asked Aelith, voicing all of their curiosity. Gandalf, however, didn't favor them with an answer, merely turned and ordered everyone to prepare to move.

"Gandalf," said Nora softly, approaching him now that she had finished whining, "you sense them, don't you..." Though phrased as such, it wasn't a question.

Gandalf nodded,

"We must be as swift as the coursing river if we are to outrun them." Nora surveyed the company balefully,

"Do we have a chance?"

"Yes Nora," laughed Gandalf. "We have a chance. Not a good one, but with the right people in the right place..."

He trailed off, also observing the company.

At first glance, it was a ragtag bunch, mismatched and tired. But if you looked closer, you could see the determination as they shouldered their heavy packs once more, their camaraderie as they assisted each other in regrouping, and their courage in the face of the unknown.

Gandalf and Nora exchanged a smile, Nora voicing their thoughts,

"There are times when I doubt it, but I think we'll make it."

Nodding, Gandalf strode toward the group, moving next to Thorin to lead the way to the unknown resting place.

Nora paused in her place for a moment, reveling in what she knew would be the last moments of peace for a while. Then she sighed silently and moved to rejoin Runa and Nienna who were goofing off with Kili and Fili at the back of the group.

"Nora," greeted Fili with a mischievous smile.

"It's Bryonny," Nora muttered, causing Runa to snicker. Nora shot her a look, but didn't comment on the rudeness, merely turning pointedly to Kili and Fili and asking,

"So what are you doing?" The handsome twin dwarves exchanged a guilty look.

"Well," said Fili, "we were actually laughmphing ah oar ah..." He trailed off in an incoherent mutter. Nora's eyes narrowed,

"What was that?"

"We were laughphing ah oar ah..." he repeated, still mumbling. Nora whacked him over the head with her staff, yelling in his ear,

"SPEAK. CLEARLY."

"WE WERE LAUGHING AT YOUR HAT!" He yelled back, that inhaled sharply as though attempting to suck the words back in.

Kili, hiding behind him, said,

"Whoops," and wasted no time in making a break for it. Fili was quick to follow his brother's lead, Nora hot on their tails, waving her staff around and yelling a jumble of what may or may not have been elfish curses.

Gandalf, over hearing some of the phrases, chuckled, causing Thoring to look at him questioningly.

"What is that hobbit yelling about now?"

Gandalf opened his mouth to respond, but it Aelith, who was helping Bilbo organize what few of their supplies that had miraculously survived thus far, beat him to it.

"She's calling Fili and Kili," Aelith paused to listen, "a pair of oliphant bums covered in warg slobber and defecating goblin excrement."

Bilbo choked on a laugh, asking,

"Really?" Aelith nodding, grinning and Thorin tensed up.

Gandalf looked at his short friend curiously, but before he could ask what was wrong, the answer was given to him as Avice, coming up to join their group looked at the young king wisely, commenting sarcastically,

"Middle-earth isn't going to burn if you laugh, Your Highness." The held back humor vanished from Thorin's face and he spun to face Avice angrily.

"You!" he exclaimed.

"Yes, so it is," she returned pleasantly.

"You pushed me off a cliff!"

"So I did," she conceded. "I'm terribly sorry about that." Thorin searched her face suspiciously for even the slightest trace of humor. Finding none, he grudgingly let the matter rest, turning back to Gandalf.

"Where are we headed?"

"To a... friend of mine," said Gandalf, haltingly, causing Thorin to give the old wizard a searching look.

"Who is this 'friend'?" asked Thorin.

"You ask a lot of questions," commented Avice and Thorin turned to shot her a fearsome glare, which had no effect upon her.

Before he could express his anger verbally, Runa came running up.

"Aelith," she gasped slightly, winded. Aelith moved to offer her a shoulder to lean on while she caught her breath.

"What's wrong?" asked Gandalf. Runa looked up at them,

"I went up the cliff face a ways. To get the lay out of the land."

"And?" prompted Avice.

"Someone's following us."

"Who?" Gandalf. Runa took a deep breath.

"I don't know."