Chapter 11

[A/N: I'm sure so many of you were desperately waiting for this update! *intense sarcasm* What a cliffhanger I left you with! Oh the drama! Oh the HUMANITY! ...you know... or not... no matter! Enjoy, vote, comment and as always, READ ON!]

***

When the smoke finally cleared, the company stared in shock. Finally, one of the dwarves (if was later credited to Fili) exclaimed,

“Gandalf!”

Sure enough, the Grey Wizard himself had returned and was currently summoning a great shining light to fend off the goblins and wargs. The light grew and grew, until it became too much for even those in trees to stand and they were forced to close their eyes.

They blinked away the sunspots to see Gandalf, surrounded by piles of soot where goblins and wargs had just stood, smiling benignly at them.

“Well my friends,” he said cheerily, “it’s safe to come down now. Dawn is upon us.”

The dwarves were quick to surround Gandalf, demanding to know what had taken him so long. The girls, however, hung back a bit uncertainly as the older man laughed off all the dwarves' questions, and asking,

“Now, who are your friends?”

Remembering their manners all at once, the dwarves turned, surging forward and carrying Gandalf with them to surround the girls, all of them trying to introduce them at once. Finally, Aelith shouted,

“EVERYONE JUST SHUT UP!!!” The dwarves fell into a stunned silence that was filled by Gandalf’s chuckle.

“We can introduce ourselves,” said Aelith, daring the dwarves to challenge her. Needless to say, none of them rose to the occasion.

“Thank you.” She turned to Gandalf. “I am Aelith of the Sisterhood. This is Avice, Nienna, Runa and last but not least the ever infamous Nora…”

“IT’S BRYONY THE XANADU WIZARD!!!” Avice groaned as Nora shoved her way to the front of the group, beaming.

To everyone’s shock, Gandalf gave a merry sort of shout, coming forward to swiftly grasp Nora’s hand warmly.

“Bryony!” he exclaimed delightedly. Eighteen jaws dropped to ground as Nora grinned in return, hugging the wizard instead of the handshake he'd been going for. He chuckled at her, patting her back fondly.

"You two... Know each other?" Asked Avice faintly, voicing the entire company's question. Nora let go of Gandalf and turned to grin at her flabbergasted friend.

"Know him?!" She scoffed, "He practically raised me!" If it was possible the eighteen jaws not belonging to Gandalf or Nora dropped further. Gandalf chuckled,

"That is perhaps an exaggeration. Nora," he explained, placing a protective hand on the girl's shoulder, "was my apprentice."

"WHAT?!" There was a general outcry that was swiftly calmed by the amused grey wizard.

"Yes, yes. Time enough for questions later. For now, we must make a plan!"

“Plan?” asked Balin cautiously. Gandalf nodded, musingly,

“Yes… strange to see goblins riding wargs, don’t you think?” Realization dawned across the company, one by one, all of them coming to the same conclusion, until…

“I don’t get it…” said Bombur, causing the rest of the company to sigh in annoyance. Gandalf, however, smiled kindly,

“Wargs aren’t generally seen with goblins.” When Bombur still showed no sign of understanding, Gandalf prompted, “Wargs are seen with…”