Chapter 8

After another hour of running, both dwarves and girls alike knew they were done for. The wargs and goblins had them cornered in a group of pines where’d they’d all managed to climb to temporary safety.

“Now what?!” yelled Kili over the cacophony of goblins jeering and wargs snarling. Runa answered with a helpless look, then asked,

“I don’t suppose you have any backup?” Fili grunted,

“Well wherever Gandalf is…”

Nora perked up,

“Gandalf? Really? Well then…” She trailed off, and began messing with something. After a few moments of whatever she was doing she turned back around with a satisfied look,

“Now that that’s done, we simply need to hold them off for a while…” She looked about her tree thoughtfully.

Runa, perched next to her, was tossing a pine cone around. She stopped suddenly, tugging on Nora’s sleeve as she looked at her pinecone wonderingly.

“Hey Nora… remember that time in the Southern Caves when we were running from Barrow-Wights?” Nora nodded slowly,

“Yeah? So?” Runa mutely held up the pinecone. For a moment, Nora stared at it, uncomprehending, but then realization dawned and she grinned.

“That just might work!”

“What?” asked Fili and Kili who were sharing Runa and Nora’s tree. “What might work?”

Giving them devilish grins, Runa and Nora said nothing, merely continued to gather a store of pinecones. Fili and Kili exchanged worried glances, but then helped the girls.

Stopping, Nora nodded, satisfied with their piles of pinecones. Irritated, Fili asked,

“Will you please explain to us what exactly you are doing?” Still refusing to say anything, Nora took a pinecone, muttering incoherently.

About to say something more, Fili shut up as his answer came in a nonverbal, but very clear way.

The pinecone burst into flames.

“AHHH!” screamed the twin dwarves, scrambling further away. “PUT IT OUT YOU LUNATIC!”

Nora laughed evilly before chucking it down at the goblins and wargs below, causing several goblins and wargs to scream in agony. Then she turned back to the shocked dwarves, scolding,

“Wizard! Not lunatic, or madwoman or witch. Wizard!” They nodded mutely and she smiled before tossing them both a couple pinecones.

They instinctively caught them, then wished they hadn’t as Nora snapped her fingers, causing them to burst into flames.

“AHHHHH!!!” they screamed throwing the flaming pinecones away from them. Nora frowned as they completely missed the prowling goblins and wargs.

“Oh stop screaming like girls. You’re wasting pinecones.” Runa laughed, then sobered up, saying,

“It’d be more effective if we could give the others a fire source…” Nora nodded, trying to think of a suitable solution.

She looked at the nearest tree. Then at Runa. Then at the tree. A smile grew on her face, causing the twins dwarves to begin to worry.

“Nora?” prompted Runa, watching Nora carefully. Nora looked at her and a silent message seemed to pass between them. Suddenly, Runa was grinning as well.

“What is it?” asked the twins, half fearful of the answer. They turned to them and spoke in perfect synchronization,

“We’re going to pull a Mirkwood!”

*******

[A/N: BWAH-HA-HA-HA!!! THE FIRECRACKERS BEGINS! WELL DONE NORA!!

NORA: YES!!!! I WILL CRUSH THE ENEMIES!!! SO VOTE, MESSAGE AND READ ONWARD!!!

Aelith: I don't think 'read onward' is grammatically correct...

NORA: WIZARDS DO WHAT WE WANT!]