Chapter 24

Thranduil paced his throne room, waiting for the prisoners. He’d told the guard to only bring their leader and the rest were to be thrown in the dungeons.

“Dwarves,” he muttered in disgust to himself, his voice echoing around the empty throne room. He paused awaiting the last echo, but, to his surprise, it wasn’t his voice that came back to him.

He heard laughter! It was faint, but there and far too feminine to be his. He spun, searching the chamber, but seeing no one there.

Footsteps, distracted him and he quickly moved to sit in his throne as the doors opened and figure entered. Five of his guards approached escorting two figure in shackles. One was clearly a dwarf, much to the elven king’s vicious pleasure.

The other, however was not.

“Who is this?” he asked, waving languidly at Aelith who simply smirked back at him.

“The name’s Aelith, King Thranduil of Greenwood.”

“Aelith…” he frowned. “Why does your name sound familiar? And how do you know me?”

“I am representing the Sisterhood. Perhaps our reputation precedes us as yours precedes you?”

“Really?” he asked curiously. “Indeed it does… but how do I know you are who you say?”

“We could test the truth of my words…” Aelith eyed the sword strapped to her guard’s waist. Thranduil chuckled,

“I like your spirit, but any man may be a good swordsman… How many females were of their company?” He addressed the last bit to his head guards.

“Five sir. A wizard, an elleth, and two humans and a hobbit with a chicken.” At the last one, Thranduil looked at the guard strangely, but decided not to ask and moved forward.

“Five?”

“Yes, but the hobbit with the chicken claims not to know the other four girls.”

“I’m afraid I’ve caught your lie,” Thranduil chuckled mockingly. “The Sisterhood has five members.”

This barb had the opposite of its intended effect. Aelith smiled in amusement.

“Just because a person isn’t seen doesn’t mean they’re not present.” With that cryptic remark, Aelith closed her mouth with a finality that told everyone very clearly that that was the last she had to say at present.

***

Kili found himself facing a very strange looking girl and her chicken.

After being captured, they’d run short of cells and opted to throw the stranger in with him. the best part had been when the guards had tried to take the chicken from its master. Several singed behinds later, they’d left the disgruntled chicken alone and limped out.

“So… who are you?” Kili asked awkwardly.

“I’m Sarabelle. Who are you?”

“Kili.”

“Nice to meet you…”

“You too…”

An awkward silence fell. Kili began to fidget slightly. Finally he looked up to see dark brown eyes watching him.

“Who are you?” he asked. This caused her to look at him funny.

“I just said I’m Sarabelle…”