Chapter 28

The bath had been exactly what Aelith had needed, and the other girls clearly agreed. Silvia had taken them to a communal bath chamber and ‘stood guard’ as they washed themselves clean.

In actuality, she’d ended up getting involved in the water fight that soon broke out. However, instead of turning her nose up, she’d retaliated, and despite her unelegant fall into the tub (courtesy of Nora), she’d held her own rather well and by the end, was chatting easily with them all.

“Your clothes are kind of a disaster…” Silvia commented as the girls dried off, having already changed into a soft blue gown. “Would you like some new ones?”

“That would be wonderful,” Aelith gratefully accepted, the other girls nodding.

“Um…” Silvia glanced at Avice, who was adjusting her mask, which she hadn’t removed during The Bathtub Incident. “Would you like a new mask?”

Startled, Avice looked up, eyes wide at her mask being pointed out. After a moment, she managed,

“If you have one the right size…” Silvia nodded before skipping out of the room to fetch clothes. Aelith approached Avice softly,

“Do you think it’s time to tell the other girls?” Avice paused, hands frozen, and then her shoulders slumped.

“Its been ‘time’ for a while now,” she admitted softly.

“Hey, Nienna, Nora. Come here,” Aelith waved the girls over. They approached, watching Avice curiously.

“What’s wrong?” asked Nienna. Aelith, seeing Avice needed some prodding, said,

“Well, Avice has something she wants to tell you…” Avice looked at the two girls and took a deep breath.

“You know my mask?” she said, dumbly waving at the worn cloth plastered to her face with condensation.

“Yeah…” Nora replied slowly, not sure where this was going.

“Well I wear for a reason…”

“I always thoughts it was a fashion statement. Or some psychological thing,” Neinna commented.

“I always thought you were a vampire and had to wear it so you wouldn’t die in the sunlight,” Nora said seriously. The others turned to her incredulously.

“Really?” said Avice in disbelief. “That’s what you thought?” She burst into laughter, causing Nora and Nienna to become even more confused.

“Actually,” she went on, wiping her eyes, “that’s pretty close.” She reached behind her head to try and find the strings that held it in place.

“See I wear it so that I don’t terrify everyone I meet.”

“Why?” asked Nienna breathlessly as Avice finally found the knot and began untying it.

“Well… don’t freak out… but I’m not entirely human.” The mask fell away and Nora and Nienna both gasped. To their horror, their breath intake was echoed and they all turned to see Silvia in the doorway, a bundle of clothes dropped at her feet, and a hand covering her mouth.

*    *    *

Thranduil was restlessly pacing outside one of the room in the healing wing of the castle. Inside, Runa lay, her wounds being examined and treated by a he couple healing elves who were oblivious to the identity of the strange girl.

As they finished up, one came out to report to their king.

“Your Highness,” he said, softly closing the door behind him. Thranduil stopped, facing the man with a frown,