Chapter 21

“Thank you for your hospitality,” Gandalf said to Beorn politely tipping his hat. Beorn nodded.

“Yeah thanks Mr. Born!” Nora chirped from behind. Gandalf sighed, but to everyone’s shock, Beorn smiled and flicked the brim of Nora’s hat fondly. Grumbling, she straightened it before kicking her pony edgily to join Gandalf.

Thorin approached now, nodding stiffly to Beorn, who, despite not being on a horse, still looked down at the entire company.

“We thank you for the use of your ponies,” Thorin said. Beorn nodded,

“Release them at the edge of the forest. They’ll find their way home,” he instructed. Nienna, the twins and Runa all thanked Beorn cordially, the rest of the dwarves following suit.

Aelith walked up and shook Beorn’s hand. Their eyes met significantly.

“Thank you,” she said in genuine gratitude. Beorn’s mouth twitched in what could have been mistaken as a smile if you squinted and tilted your head slightly and the light was just right.

“You are good people,” he responded. Aelith raised an eyebrow as she surveyed the group that was straggling out of Beorn’s property as they spoke.

“Perhaps,” she said finally, “but if failing that, at least we fight for a cause. And even if its not a good one, we will fight well.”

They looked at each other and nodded a salute before Aelith moved on.

Beorn turned to see Avice standing behind him, solemn eyes gazing at him from behind a mask. The two stared at each other for a long moment. Finally, Aelith broke the silence.

“You know.” It wasn’t a question, but rather her own curiosity’s confirmation. Beorn nodded softly, both turning to gaze at the dwarves mounting up.

“They will not understand at first,” Beorn said quietly. Aelith heaved a breath.

“No,” she agreed, “they won’t.”

“They might not ever,” he added, looking at her. Her gaze rested on Thorin and a corner of her mouth jerked up in a queer, twisted smile.

“Maybe… but I think we’ll be okay.” Beorn, following her gaze, raised an eyebrow in understanding.

“I see…”

“Thank you,” Avice said abruptly. Turning to her, Beorn cocked his head in confusion,

“For what?”

“For your hospitality. For your understanding. For everything I guess.”

“Hospitality is expected,” Beorn returned. “And no one can control their ancestors.” He looked at her meaningfully. She laughed lightly,

“I suppose not. But many people take pride in those that came before them and cannot understand those who would rather leave their family history to rot.”

“Not unless they are made to understand.”

On that cryptic note, Beorn turned, vanishing back into his hut and leaving Avice looking after him thoughtfully.

“Onward?” asked Aelith brightly, gaining everyone’s attention.

“Onward,” confirmed Gandalf, Thorin looking particularly grim. Turning, the company rode out, a breeze at their backs.

Whether that was a good or bad omen, Avice couldn't quite tell?

***

Mirkwood was very suited to its name.

“I get it,” said Nora sagely, “its a gloomy, murky forest… Mirkwood!” Her cheery exclamation echoed hollowly around the scraggly company who looked at her with varying degrees of disbelief.

“Right…” said Runa, “now that that’s cleared up…”

“What do we do with the ponies?” asked Fili curiously, eyeing his peaceful steed.

“I believe we simply let them go,” said Aelith. “They know the way home.”

“Besides,” said Runa, giggling at Bombur who was trying to dodge his pony’s teeth as it tried to sample his beard, “Beorn’s followed us all this way. He’ll make sure they get home.”

“He had?!” asked Kili, spinning around to squint back the way they’d come.

“I don’t see him…” he said after a moment’s pause.

“Well you wouldn’t, would you?” snickered Nienna.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” asked Kili, outraged, but the chuckling elf merely shook her head at him.

Gandalf had walked into the forest, looking about and muttering to himself. After a moment, he pulled back exiting with a distracted look on his face. A look Nora knew all too well…

“Gandalf,” she asked, “what’s wrong?”

“There is a darkness in these woods…” Gandalf said mysteriously. Nora looked at him for a long moment.

“Gandalf,” she finally said, “when something, such as trees, blocks the sunlight, it creates shadows which are a lock of light otherwise known as darkness-”

“I don’t think that’s what he meant,” interrupted Runa skeptically.

Nora stopped rambling to noticed Gandalf, not paying her any attention had wandered a ways off and now stood, gazing into the forest. She huffed angrily at being ignored but shut up.

“I must go,” Gandalf announced abruptly.

“What? Why?” Thorin asked, immediately concerned.

“I must consult with the head of our order, Saruman the White. I will return.” He paused leaning towards Nora until she leaned back awkwardly.

“Stay on the path,” he warned.

With that, he mounted his white horse and rode off… further… and further… and fuuuurther… the company all stood and mutely watched his departure off into the distance.

“Take care Gandy-bear!” called Nora, deciding the moment was perfect for the invention of a new nickname. Gandalf, still getting smaller, said nothing in return, presumably out of earshot.

“Gandy-bear?” asked Fili in amusement, eyeing the hobbit wizard. Nora nodded earnestly, insisting,

“Gandy-bear.”

“He’s almost gone…” said Nienna. “Going… going… going… gone!” As Gandalf finally disappeared into the sunset, the company turned back to the task at hand.

“There’s no yellow brick road…” said Nora sadly.

“Why would there be?” asked Fili in confusion, looking to Aelith for an explanation. Unhelpfully, she merely shrugged with a ‘who knows’ look before turning and taking the lead into the woods.

Thorin, Avice, Bilbo and Balin fell in line after her, the rest of the dwarves following with Runa, Nienna, Nora and the twins bringing up the rear.

“This will be fun,” commented Runa cheerily, earning several sullen glares to which she grinned unrepentantly in response.