Chapter 56

The Healing Tent was nearly empty by the time that they arrived. The battle had ended and most of the patients had been released, either to live or be buried.

A young woman met them at tent's flap and her understanding look was all too clear.

"They're in the back," she said, jerking her head towards a curtained off corner in the back of the tent.

She made a move to continue with her work, but Nienna stopped her, asking, "They?"

"The two girl," the Healer returned in confusion. "The hobbit and the red head..."

"Runa..." breathed Nienna in horror. None of them had seen the red headed girl in a long while, they'd assumed she was fine. Apparently not.

Nienna quickly charged over, leading the others behind her and not hesitating to enter the partitioned area.

She froze.

Nothing could have prepared her for the sight of her friends lying, pale with blood soaked bandages, on two beds side by side.

Runa was half sitting and gave Nienna a sad smile as she noticed her entrance. Then her eyes moved back to Nora.

For a moment, terror seized Nienna's heart as she feared they were too late. Then Nora's eyes slowly flickered open and Nienna moved further in, allowing the others to crowd in behind her.

"Hey guys," coughed Nora weakly.

"Nora," said Aelith, quickly moving to the bedside.

"I'm not going to make it."

Nora's words made them all freeze. They looked at her in disbelief, trying to process her announcement.

"What do you mean you're not going to make it?" asked Nienna, laughing uneasily.

Nora grimaced, glancing down at her bandaged side ruefully. "Stupid blade was poisoned."

"Then we'll find an antidote," said Aelith firmly.

"It's not that easy," said Nora. "By the time we realized there was poison involved, it had already entered the bloodstream. It's too late."

"Surely there's a spell."

"I'm afraid not."

"Then elvish healing."

"It's too late for that. Besides which, we don't know what the poison is. How can I be healed when no one knows what's wrong in the first place?"

Everyone was silent.

Aelith and Avice sat in between Runa and Nora's beds and Nienna perched at the end of the bed. The dwarves that had followed all formed a semicircle around the girls, trying to understand, to come to terms with the inevitable.

Sarabelle entered with a bowl of water and a wash cloth.

"Oh hello," she said, blinking at everyone in surprise.

"Hey Sarabelle," said Nora with a weak smile. Sarabelle moved and placed the basin on a side table.

"Gandalf is on his way now," she said sadly, eyeing Nora uncertainly.

"Thank you," Nora said.

Sarabelle nodded and hurried out.

Once again a silence fell over the group. A thick, heavy silence where no words could do justice to the all consuming emotions that weighed them down.

Minutes passed and soon, hurried footsteps were heard approaching. Gandalf appeared seconds later.

"Nora..." His voice was grave and his tears weren't twinkling with their seemingly perpetual amusement.